max a/c question

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
There are a couple of vacuum lines you can tie into. Im using the one that comes out of the vacuum bottle under the hood. Its ALWAYS on, so my heatercore is 100% turned OFF at all times.

www.forgotton.net/diesel/heaterbypass/index.htm

That link has the parts and pictures of the do it yourself version.

Kinda makes it chilly in the winter don't it??? :confused:

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kwazyca said:
Kinda makes it chilly in the winter don't it??? :confused:

Just cap the vacuum tee and im back with heat. Dont need it switched down here. Too hot.

They sell an electric vacuum switch that allows you to turn the mod on and off in the cab via a switch.

There is a couple of ways to rig this mod up.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Just cap the vacuum tee and im back with heat. Dont need it switched down here. Too hot.

They sell an electric vacuum switch that allows you to turn the mod on and off in the cab via a switch.

There is a couple of ways to rig this mod up.

There is a vaccum line under the dash on the passenger side that you tie into that only shuts it off in the OFF or MAX AC position... like someone else has said, the hardest part is getting it through the firewall and even that isn't that hard.

I can take a look to see which one it is for certain. That's the way I did mine.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, here are a couple of pictures of the vaccum line I used... it's the white line.. I used a T connector. You can see in the pics that it goes to the little canister... just slip the line off the canister, attach it to one end of the "T" then attach some line to the other end and to the canister, then run a line to your shut off valve.

Very simple.. and you can still have heat without having to get out of the truck to shut off something off or turn something on.

Hutch's mod involved some other method that also shut off the flow to the core when it was on the vent cycle... He wanted to be able to leave the windows up and just use the vents. His method is a little more involved, and I don't remember how he worked his.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
On the way back from the farm yesterday I experimented with mine. On the vent/floor setting with full fan mine was putting out 60 degree air. When I switched over to max air full fan it dropped to a cool 39 degrees coming out the vents.................

Tbar

chaddiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i've gotta get one of those, the other day I was sitting at a light and my a/c just started to blow warmer air over a short period of time. I think I need to check the system and see if it needs freon.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
chaddiesel said:
i've gotta get one of those, the other day I was sitting at a light and my a/c just started to blow warmer air over a short period of time. I think I need to check the system and see if it needs freon.
Sometimes all it takes is a vacuum down and refreshing of the R134 with oil to get it to kick out cubes again :sweet

My advice to anyone that wants to know how their AC system is performing is to swing by Wallyworld or alike and purchase a $10 Digital Temperature probe,it's well worth the money :cowboy:
Here's a PHOTO of the one I've had for the last 5 years.

Bill

CHPMustang

Reaction score
chaddiesel said:
that gauge looks much better than the ones that I sell.
I also have one of the old school gauges(the needle type) but found it's accuracy just isn't accurate to the degree. ;)

Bill

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58