Maxed out stock temop gauge

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
So I was bouncing on down the road yesterday on my way home from work. 65-70 mph down the interstate, windows down, cranking the tunes, enjoying the ride. Got home and noticed that my "CHECK GAUGES" idiot light was on and my stock trans temp gauge was maxed out. I looked over at my ISSPRO tranny gauge and it was just under 130.

Any ideas? Is this just a "bug" in the system? Seems strange to me.......

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Temp. sensor in the transmission. Mine did this a few years ago. Does your tow-haul light flash on and off?

My guess. Need to replace the sensor inside the trans. pan.

Barrett

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The Ford gauges are computer controlled and if the computer tells the gauge to read MAX, then that is what you see. It does not mean that the tranny is that hot by itself. That is why we preach getting real gauges.

Dave

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
That is what I figured because the tranny was operating fine and when I got hom I pulled teh dipstick and the fluid looked fine. It didn't do it this morning on the way to work.

Thanks guys!!!

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
OK...so the temp sensor in the trans pan. Is this something I can change myself or is it deep in the transmission? Anyone know? I'd like to do it myself if I can instead of paying the dealer.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The temp sensor is in the oil reserve so it can sense the oil's temperature. You will need to drain the pan before you can remove the sensor or you will have a big mess.

Dave

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
OK..cool. So I am assuming it is at the bottom? Do I need to remove the valve body or anything? Does anyone have an idea where it is located?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
PM me your email address. Don't post it here, scammers. I will send what I have on the Torq Shift temperature stuff. This is off of the Ford DVD.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58