MC 15w40

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While at WM, I keep seeing the 5 quart jugs of MC 15w40 for 11.50 each. I'm thinking if I go back to the MC 15w40 and purchase the MC oil filter I can do the oil change in my 2002 7.3 for around 46.00, not bad. I am now using the Delo 15w40 with no complaints, and no complaints with the MC 15w40 as well. My question is, is the MC 15w40 as good or better than Delo 15w40? What do you guys think?

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
I spent a lot of time when I got my truck looking for a good oil that was readily available. I came back to the Motorcraft 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil because it was the only one I could find that was rated as meeting International's specifications for an engine oil. Is that really important? Well, when you consider that International is one of only two engine builders that uses the HEUI type injector system (My understanding is CAT invented the concept of the system and used it but International improved things when they started using a similar system in their engines) I tend to think it should be at least a consideration when choosing an oil.

Now this is sort of apples to oranges but my truck is a 6.0 and yours is a 7.3, but since I bought my truck I have had zero issues running on the MC 15W-40 for the last 35,000 miles. Your 7.3 is far less sensitive to oil issues so you can probably afford to try out different brands to see if you like one better than another.

By the way, where are you in Baltimore? I live up near the PA line in Baltimore County.

Last edited:

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Patrick,

I live near White Marsh/Essex Area. I know your area, go past there to visit my daughter who lives in PA and when going to the car/ truck events. I've used MC 15w40 in the past with no issues, switched to Rotella 15w40 and then to Delo 15w40. I am really thinking about going back to the MC 15w40. Still use the MC oil filter. I know MC is a quality oil made by Conaco-Phillips for Ford. Priced the MC Diesel 5w40 synthetic at the dealer, very costly.

ponyexpress94

Diesel Power Junkie
Reaction score
Patrick,

I live near White Marsh/Essex Area. I know your area, go past there to visit my daughter who lives in PA and when going to the car/ truck events. I've used MC 15w40 in the past with no issues, switched to Rotella 15w40 and then to Delo 15w40. I am really thinking about going back to the MC 15w40. Still use the MC oil filter. I know MC is a quality oil made by Conaco-Phillips for Ford. Priced the MC Diesel 5w40 synthetic at the dealer, very costly.

Yeah, I was suprised too when I got the price, and I just couldn't bring myself to switch because even in the new owner's manuals for 6 liter engines the 5W-40 Syn still isn't approved for as wide a temperature operating range as the conventional MC 15W-40 when towing, etc. As far as 15W-40 prices, I have had really good luck at Bob Davidson Ford and Koons Ford because I go in there frequently and have developed a good contact in the parts department at both dealerships.

Last edited:

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to make friends in the parts/service department, never know when you need to buy or need a repair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14