melted VC harness.... again

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
97 f-250 i replaced a melted harness under the drivers side vc over a year ago on a friends truck. now it did it again and melted the plug on the outside of the vc gasket too in less than 10,000 miles. any idea why it would be doin this im out of ideas?

Thanks
Neal

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully when you replaced the UVCH before, you also replaced the valvecover gasket. A burned/scorched pin on the gasket can cause a high resistance connection that will cause heat and cause the problem. If you did replace the gasket, it could of just happened again as the pins and wires are too small (that's why they went to the larger wire and pins on the SuperDuties (99+). Cheers!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you also replace the glow plugs, often when the UVC melts it is due to a failed GP that has shorted internally drawing more current than the wire/pin can handle.

arrowstrap

BioMechanic
Reaction score
I had a burnt UVCH and gasket a few years ago. replaced the harness, gasket and plugs. then i installed a GP kill toggle switch in the cab. i only power up the plugs for cold starts and then kill the switch. i have had no further issues with my harness, gasket or plugs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14