New Member mijbear

mijbear

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all power strokers out there, I'm in Albuquerque New Mexico, have an 08 6.4 with some issues, dealer wants BIG $$ to fix, any alternative ideas would be welcomed. Here's the problems: down injector, plugged exhaust system particulate filter($1500.00 part) and bad EGR valve. Total estimate to fix $2900.00 parts and labor, no warranty, and 140k miles. thanks for listening

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
First of all, :welcome2 mijbear. Some one will be along to answer your questions, I hope. Sounds like you need to take maintenance more seriously, like taking your truck out for a good speed run; drive it like you stole it. This will help keep the exhaust cleaner. What mods have you done?

Dave :)

Torqueshift

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi to all power strokers out there, I'm in Albuquerque New Mexico, have an 08 6.4 with some issues, dealer wants BIG $$ to fix, any alternative ideas would be welcomed. Here's the problems: down injector, plugged exhaust system particulate filter($1500.00 part) and bad EGR valve. Total estimate to fix $2900.00 parts and labor, no warranty, and 140k miles. thanks for listening

Welcome to SDD.
sorry to hear about the dealer situation. Take some time to read some of the postings on this forum for our 6.4..it has it's issues...but it all can be handled...you will find that many of us with 6.4's have all done alot of the same modifications. A tuner to allow you to remove the DPF/CAT and it's factory sensors...also to remove the EGR system ( you will need a tuner to do these mods, as the truck will not run if you remove these systems ...so it must be re-programmed )...all that seems like a good starting point...but you can also replace the DPF your self...and avoid the labor..depending on how much you can do yourself..( dont know if you like turning wrenches or have the facilities to do the work...) you'll find threads addressing the injectors and upgrades to prevent failures..or just OEM repairs. i do alot of reading on these forums. like i said...it depends how involved you want to get and how much work you can do yourself. I am assuming your truck is stock...since you haven't listed any mods.

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Down injector, get some hotshot secret and try it. For 50.00 bucks its a cheaper way to TRY to fix it. If that does not work then you will need to replace it. I run it in my truck every 3rd oil change. And it stinks when you first start running it.
Plugged exhaust system particulate filter (DPF) Pull it off and find someone with a steam jenny pressure washer. Have them wash it out with hot water to get the ash out of it. Start at the back and wash it to the front of the DPF then wash it back to the back. Use no soap or chemicals and it has to be cold too. Go to youtube.com and look for down injector, plugged exhaust system particulate filter($1500.00 part) and bad EGR valve.
Bad EGR ????? I have no clue how to get it out to clean it. It's not like the 6.0 motors.

Last edited:

nbookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm not the new guy anymore!!!!!! i give you the hat. best of luck wit the 6.4. if u dont have testing in yr state than it will be cheaper to delete everything even if it is just till you find the cash for the repair. the clog can be fixed with a friend and a few hours. we did it on a friends then a week later he deleted it. but it did work.

Are you still driving it with one injector down (the 6.4 will still run missing one right), it never threw a light for water in the fuel or filters did it?

best of luck

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58