mileage info

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
i love the new body style minus the exhaust tips but i know from what everyone says on here the mileage sucks. just some food for thought but ive been talkin to a few buddies of mine who have 08's and they have surprisingly good results with no mods. they claim they are getting a little over 15 with a F250 and about 14 in a F350 i called bs on em but they said they hand calculate it and thats what they are gettin on the highway unloaded. and one of em said that the guy at the dealeership said that if u can stand to drive around 55 - 60 if youre on a long trip 100 miles or greater that ur milage will go up quite a bit i know thats kinda common sense and i dont remember the exact numbers but it was like 1-2 mpg difference like i said its all second hand info but worth thinkin about. i have a 6.0 and just because of fuel prices i have started takin the backroads instead of the highway where i can cruise about 62 and not get the go to he** look and have seen a lil difference but a lil starts to add up after awhile just food for thought if it matters:dunno

EmptyDub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ckamp- I can get between 14-15 mpg average out of my truck. I don't have any mods, and drive 30 miles round trip everyday to work (all interstate). I just get in the right lane, set my cruise to 60mph, then sit back and relax! In my owner's manual it said something about try not to go over 10lbs boost when you take off from a dead stop, and that'll help too. I drive it like I'm 80, and everyone gets mad 'cause I'm slow, but I'm usually bigger than they are so there's not much they can do but go around! The best mpg's I've had were during a trip to OKC from Dallas. I filled up on the north side of Dallas, and had a tail wind pushing me the whole way. I got 19-20mpg at 60mph (I hand calc'd it 'cuz I couldn't believe the lie-ometer, but it was true). Keep your foot out of it, and keep your cool and you'll see an improvement!

bowstring

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Started out around 12mpg and now with 6000 miles up 16 mpg at times 2008 6.4 auto FX4X4,SC, Long box

skipnay

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I average 15 miles to work. Go through one town and I get about 15.5 miles per gallon. I also think it's alot on how you drive also. I coast between gas and brake.

hdjeff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the most i've ever seen is over 20, hand calculated, several hundred mile trip, 63 on cruise, about 6-7 lbs of boost, very slow. good thing for ipod. unloaded of course. i avg over 16 mixed highway/street, really no mods, and its a job 1. i think the right foot definately makes a difference. towing a 34 ft travel trailer, approx 6500 lbs i make 11-12.

mikeled

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
mileage mods

I am getting about 18 mpg calculated by hand, 65 mph cruise no load. I do have a predater programmer and an airaid breather everything else is bone stock.

peterspca90732

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
F450 Mileage Averages

I have improved mileage by increasing tire pressure to 100 (110PSI is the max cold inflation), driving slower on the freeway and avoiding jack rabbit starts. It is not a huge difference but unloaded driving 20 miles each way to work on surface streets averaging 12mpg. Towing our 5th wheel mpg went from average of 8 to 9. On level freeway driving it has gone as high as 12! I really like the F450, it tows our 5th wheel without effort (which is why I bought the truck), great design and excellent features like the Integrated Brake Controller. Also have found that the engine/transmission braking to be superior to my previous Chevrolet 3500 with a Prodigy exhaust brake. In spite of poor MPG, it rocks as a great RV tow vehicle.

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically; there is important info missing from threads like this. Example: F-450 guys with 4:88's post 8-10 mpg and don't tell you what the truck is like? Anyway, I have only 1500 miles on this truck. All mileage is hand calculated so I keep the long term average on the dash. 13.8 overall (mostly local stop and go...this is Jersey!) and 15.7 on highway. It seem to improve steadily from the time I picked it up til now. My opinion: Its the LONG term average, not the one tank versus another that matters, so keep track that way. I have an MS/EXCEL spreadsheet with the foumlas I use for tracking mileage for all the family vehicles. I can't post it here due to well reasoned restrictions, but if you want it, PM me and I will try to get it to you. Regards and good luck...Joe

PS: Signautre didn't show up so: 2008 F-350 Lariat; 4x4; 6.4l; 20"Ford wheels and tires; 3:73 gears. Bone stock Build 3

Last edited:

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to add that mileage rates may also depend on the rear end setup. I have a 4.11 rear end and I'd assume it won't get better mileage than the 3.73 (?) setup. People with 4.40 should get the worst mileage, assuming all are driven the same.

I drove a couple of long trips the first few days I owned my F350 and driving a tad under 60 I was getting about 21mpg (without a bed). Once I have the flatbed installed, things may change I'm sure.

The DVD and owners manual does mention trying to keep it under 10 pounds of boost and keeping rpms below 2000. For me, keeping rpms under 2K means driving under 60 (from what I remember from my trips).

But driving 55 to 60mph seems to result in 20+mpg results.

take care

peterspca90732

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What the F450 is Like?

Not sure what was missing from my post regards what "F450 guys fail to say is what the truck is like" but I really love this truck, aside from the low MPG which I expected. It is a very heavy, well built truck. Mine is a 2WD Lariat with most of the options (I ordered mine, Job 2, took delivery in October 2007). The cabin is roomy, comfortable and everything easy to reach. I expected the ride to be harsher than my previous Chevy 3500 but if anything it is a better ride; possibly because of the 19" tires? The backup camera provides a good range of view when backing so an added safety item and makes backing easier and more precise. The turn ratio is absolutely amazing for such a big vehicle also. One of the things I really like is how Ford reengineered the transmission so that in the tow/haul mode engine braking is actually superior to my previous setup with an exhaust brake. Fit, finish, everything has been excellent. While I was fine with my Chevy and the Dmax, I needed the larger F450 and 4.88 rear end to pull my 5th wheel. Hope this addresses the "what is the truck like" aspect.

2008 F450 2WD, 4.88 Lariat
2007 Teton 5th Wheel (35')

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14