Mileage on my 6.0

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Im curious, by just performing preventive maintenance, how many miles can a stock 6.0 go before you really got to consider selling?

Does putting performance items on the engine lower that mileage?

And for future reference, how do you sell a truck you put so much time and money into but has 300,000 miles on it?

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't really think there is an expiration date on them - after 170K i would expect to replace something on it as with any high mileage vehicle, but longetivity really depends on the way it was taken care of and driven. With regular maintenance i'll bet u can get 200-250K or more. Performance mods like tuner's will decrease the life of parts on the motor unless modifications are made to compensate for the added power, but things like a free flowing exhaust or egr cooler upgrade or delete can provide u with longer life. As for selling a 300K mi truck - U don't

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't really think there is an expiration date on them - after 170K i would expect to replace something on it as with any high mileage vehicle, but longetivity really depends on the way it was taken care of and driven. With regular maintenance i'll bet u can get 200-250K or more. Performance mods like tuner's will decrease the life of parts on the motor unless modifications are made to compensate for the added power, but things like a free flowing exhaust or egr cooler upgrade or delete can provide u with longer life. As for selling a 300K mi truck - U don't

What do you mean you don't? Maybe not 300k but like 200-250k?

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just meant that its a hard sell is all. Even 250K is on the higher end and if people do make u offers they are gonna be well under what u put into it, you have to look at it from a buyers perspective - Would you buy a truck with that kind of mileage and what would you want to pay for it? It's almost worth it just to keep it - One of the guys i worked with has a 87 f350 dump with over 600k on it (6.9l diesel) and stills uses it every day.

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The way I see it, once you get past 250, the truck has done you well and you might as well keep her, but that's just my thoughts. As far as performance stuff, I always stay away from pro parts. They say to me "this trucks been beat" but that's just myt 2cents.

mrziggy

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
When you say pro parts, you mean chips right, because all i want to do is delete the egr, which im doing this weekend, free flow exhaust with a CAT delete, i have a banks ram air, and then a boost fooler. Later down the down the road when the injectors need replacing, i would prob go with performance. But thats it, no chips. I bought the truck with 116+ in sept., and it now has 122.5k. I want this truck to get me everywhere, being in the military i'll be doing a lot of traveling and i need a reliable diesel that i know will get me there with confidence.

============================================================
"Somewhere inside me there's a new direction, somewhere before me there's an open road, Can't go to sleep without that diesel singin'" - Trace Adkins

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It comes down to maintenance and preventive maintenance. You take care of it and don't beat the dog crap out of it then you can get lots of mileage out of it. Things do go out like the trans. will probably need replacement one day. Getting rid of the EGR will help the motor run cooler but if you get put in a state like California you may need it so. Mileage is something that up in the air. You can talk to Bill at powerstrokehelp.com. his truck went 789k miles then crapped out.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
When you say pro parts, you mean chips right, because all i want to do is delete the egr, which im doing this weekend, free flow exhaust with a CAT delete, i have a banks ram air, and then a boost fooler. Later down the down the road when the injectors need replacing, i would prob go with performance. But thats it, no chips. I bought the truck with 116+ in sept., and it now has 122.5k. I want this truck to get me everywhere, being in the military i'll be doing a lot of traveling and i need a reliable diesel that i know will get me there with confidence.

============================================================
"Somewhere inside me there's a new direction, somewhere before me there's an open road, Can't go to sleep without that diesel singin'" - Trace Adkins

Looks like you're on the right track devgru2011. Before the EGR delete we were suppose to "drive it like you stole it" =(less MPG,less life) Another thing to consider is a CCV mod to keep intake cleaner. But again, not an EPA recommended thing, but better for engine life. I'm wanting to do this when I can afford another mod. It's obvious from most everyone on this forum, that we love our powerstrokes and we're spending lots of money to make em' last. Like others are saying; Maintenance,maintenance. ;tu;tu

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
It comes down to maintenance and preventive maintenance. You take care of it and don't beat the dog crap out of it then you can get lots of mileage out of it. Things do go out like the trans. will probably need replacement one day. Getting rid of the EGR will help the motor run cooler but if you get put in a state like California you may need it so. Mileage is something that up in the air. You can talk to Bill at powerstrokehelp.com. his truck went 789k miles then crapped out.

Was Bills' truck a 6.0 that he got 789k on??? That's very reassuring if that's the case. I'm guessing it was a 7.3

devgru2011

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Looks like you're on the right track devgru2011. Before the EGR delete we were suppose to "drive it like you stole it" =(less MPG,less life) Another thing to consider is a CCV mod to keep intake cleaner. But again, not an EPA recommended thing, but better for engine life. I'm wanting to do this when I can afford another mod. It's obvious from most everyone on this forum, that we love our powerstrokes and we're spending lots of money to make em' last. Like others are saying; Maintenance,maintenance. ;tu;tu

Can you explain what a CCV mod is and does. Right now im too worried about emissions because from what i understand a lot of states do not do emission inspections when getting a state inspection on a certain age vehicle. Right now, with 122.7k on her, 2 weeks from today i am putting a new set of glow plugs in, deleting the EGR, and putting in an oil cooler core. Im looking forward to giving her this, it'll be a fresh start. Then after the summer, im looking to put on a 4" MBRP with a CAT delete, and i think that might be it for a while. What do ya think?:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14