Mileage towing

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mountains in Florida? I live here.... Never saw any that I can see..... Did I say that right?:dunno

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
My first 5th wheel was towed with a 6 Cyl. Ranger and I felt everything that caused drag or power requirements. I surely felt the difference with or without a grilled Tailgate. I even felt the difference of the distance the trailer was from the cab, the closer the better. But with the diesels with more torque it is hardly noticeable. I can think it affects mileage. My friend had a Canadian fibregass roof deflector and it was good for his 98 Dodge Cummins that had no power, he got great mileage also, but for me I did not like the room it took for storage and installation. I read somewhere that a rear deflector on the top of the trailer is best and no one actualy installs any. I had a Stationwagon with the rear deflector and it was great for mileage and kept the rear window clean. It is harder to pull a vacuum then pushing air, thats why the cars have a smooth rear deck design. I do loose mileage empty with my grilled tailgate, but I would not have a truck without my Grilled tailgate. I made 3 of them so far and they are strong and practical. My last one is made of 1 1/2" square tubing and heavy flat expanded metal and as heavy as the stock tailgate. The ones you buy are so flimsy that they are only usefull when closed. I can open mine and load a load of wood on top of it, specialy long lumber. I do my own support side bars to be strong for gate loads.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first 5th wheel was towed with a 6 Cyl. Ranger and I felt everything that caused drag or power requirements. I surely felt the difference with or without a grilled Tailgate. I even felt the difference of the distance the trailer was from the cab, the closer the better. But with the diesels with more torque it is hardly noticeable. I can think it affects mileage. My friend had a Canadian fibregass roof deflector and it was good for his 98 Dodge Cummins that had no power, he got great mileage also, but for me I did not like the room it took for storage and installation. I read somewhere that a rear deflector on the top of the trailer is best and no one actualy installs any. I had a Stationwagon with the rear deflector and it was great for mileage and kept the rear window clean. It is harder to pull a vacuum then pushing air, thats why the cars have a smooth rear deck design. I do loose mileage empty with my grilled tailgate, but I would not have a truck without my Grilled tailgate. I made 3 of them so far and they are strong and practical. My last one is made of 1 1/2" square tubing and heavy flat expanded metal and as heavy as the stock tailgate. The ones you buy are so flimsy that they are only usefull when closed. I can open mine and load a load of wood on top of it, specialy long lumber. I do my own support side bars to be strong for gate loads.

caissiel can you send me a photo of it??

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
here it is
PictureorVideo001.jpg

I also store my Bikes when towing my car at the back of the trailer

Notice the location of my Cam on the truck hitch frame, held by the aluminum square plate that can be seen through the bike wheel. At that location I can see the trailer wheels and the towed car wheels.

Last edited:

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
here is my Kayak carrier front rack, the rear rack attaches to the Fiftween unit in the Box I nstall Kayak carriers on the top of the rack and also the attachements fit the roof racks of my car. Also attachement fits on trailer roof where I usualy carry the Kayak while traveling camp to camp
PictureorVideo003.jpg

2005SD003a.jpg

Last edited:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My 5th has the arrow dynamics of a brick wall in the front. :dunno

Vented tailgate ain't going to do much but I bet a air deflector would if the nose of your 5th wheel is not aerodynamic. Be sure to put it as close as possible to the nose of the 5th wheel or it will increase drag rather than reduce it. I have often wondered why they are not mounted on the trailer nose rather than the roof of the truck so that no air could drop back in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim