Mileage

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My May1st truck came in yesterday. I went on a 300 mile mileage test trip. The truck came in already broke in with 11 miles on the odometer. Going up hill with tailgate down, mileage was 15.8 going around 2000 rpm at 70 mph. Going downhill same rpm and speed with tailgate up we got 18.2 mpg. Monday I am headed on a 1200 mile test run, and will post fuel mileage when I get back.
2006, F350, 6.0, 4x4, S/C, 8ft bed, 3.73 posi, Camper package, Manual 6spd.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Congratsulations on the new truck!!! Don't get too excited about the mileage numbers yet. You will have to get 15 or 20K miles on it before you get true mileage readings. The lie-o-meter is not accurate.

Dave :)

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Try one way with the tailgate up and the other with the tailgate down. On mythbusters (i think that was the show it was on) they did a test and said that fuel milage was better with tailgate up. Something about the empty bed creating a pocket of air that acts like a bed cover. If you had the tailgate down the air would swirl around and cause additional friction.

Just something you can try out.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
test

I am starting my 1200 mile trip Monday. I am glad that it has a 38 gallon fuel tank. I should be able to drive 500 miles with a little fuel left in reserve. I will try it with the tailgate up and down to test this theory. A real simple way to test the aerodynamics is to have someone sit back against the tailgate, while driving at cruise speed, and they could feel where the air is flowing. I would think that each truck configuration would have different locations where the air flows back near the tailgate. Crew cabs would be different than regular cabs, and it would make a difference if the bed was 6ft or 8ft. Anyway I will be able to tell you what happens on a F350 S/C with 8ft bed.

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Hello I am going to Jump in on this. I just did a 1000 mile trip from Houston to Colorado. I got 20 miles Per gallon going up there and 21 Miles per gallon on the trip Home that is calcualting the Mileage by a Calculator. Not loaded or Pulling anything Just my two Labs In there Kennels, with 15 gallons of diesel just in case. Proud of my My mileage Doing between 75 and 85 all the way

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
BubbaNtx said:
Hello I am going to Jump in on this. I just did a 1000 mile trip from Houston to Colorado. I got 20 miles Per gallon going up there and 21 Miles per gallon on the trip Home that is calcualting the Mileage by a Calculator. Not loaded or Pulling anything Just my two Labs In there Kennels, with 15 gallons of diesel just in case. Proud of my My mileage Doing between 75 and 85 all the way

Thats not bad at all. What kind of truck do you have? Engine, 2wd vs 4x4, dually, etc.

I got 12.9 towing my Saleen from DE to St. Louis, Mo (1,000 miles one way), its roughly 3,500 lbs not counting the U-haul trailer it was on.

Comming back home the following day without the car and JUST the trailer i did 13-14mpg.

Same speed both ways, 70-80 the whole way.

Now the millages were going by the display up on the roof, i didnt actually do the math myself, how accurate is that thing anyway? To be honest i was pretty dissapointed with the millage, especially not towing anything.

-Mike

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to use a Calculator to get your true MPG,s. The lie-o-meter can be off by 3 or 4 MPG,s On my 2006 it was slow by 1 MPG and they did a reflash on tranny About two weeks ago and it is only 4 ten's slow now on a tank full.
Good luck.

KingRancher

2004 F-250 King Ranch FX4
Reaction score
I got a 04 kingranch 4x4 unloaded using math I am getting about 17 to 18 mpg, 6.0 PSD, edge programer, the li-o-meter says Im getin 14.1 but I think my chip affected this devise. :eek:

I use 1 tank with just the bed loaded round trip from surprise AZ to sho lo AZ lots of hills, :burnit

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Ok, that makes me feel better. Whew, for a second there i thought my cobra was actually getting better fuel millage then the truck... :) Next time i am home on vacation i will have to redo the math to see what the truck is really getting.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Mike K said:
Ok, that makes me feel better. Whew, for a second there i thought my cobra was actually getting better fuel millage then the truck... :) Next time i am home on vacation i will have to redo the math to see what the truck is really getting.
Its subtle, but I'm thinking you have a Cobra? Now, is this a real Cobra or the Mustang version? SVT's version, or a Shelby?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14