Help Needed Military member in need of help fast

san-man

BAD FKR
Reaction score
I am currently deployed to Guam. It is really cold in Minot ND where my wife and truck are (see Sig). Now, her car has already cracked the block and I do not want the same to happen to the truck.

Here the problem: Last Tuesday she calls me and says that the truck would not start in -20 degree weather. I ask if she has been putting in the Amsoil anti-gel stuff and she said no. So, I tell her to put it in and try again tomorrow. She does and it starts. Now yesterday she tries to go to town and she said it was fine at first then it starts to slow down to 30 and no faster while giving gas. So, she turned around and went home. The truck did it again this morning.

I need honest opinions on what is going on. I do not have the money to get the motor swapped if she break this vehicle too. It only has 85,000 miles too.

Please help,
Carlos

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like she isn't letting it warm up enough in -20* temps it can easily take over 10 mins to warm up. Has she been plugging it in over night?

atk

Reaction score
does sound like it might be gelling up. try some PSDK 911(red bottle)....at those temps, is the truck being plugged in?....hope this helps

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
does sound like it might be gelling up. try some PSDK 911(red bottle)....at those temps, is the truck being plugged in?....hope this helps

X2

The 911 red bottle I believe can be readily found at Walmart, maybe even the BX service station. Once she purs it in, make sure she runs it to circulate it around.

Slight threadjack: San-man what are you doing in Guam? Do you work BUFF's on the flightline? Been to Teragi yet?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
keep the anti gel additive in the fuel at a stong concentration at -20, let it warm up for about 10 minutes, keep it plugged in when the engine is off if possible, and also it may not be a bad idea to keep a battery charger ready at those temps.

once she gets the anti gel to successfully circulate through and de-wax the fuel completely it should be back to normal.

san-man

BAD FKR
Reaction score
O.K., got a little more information from a friend I sent over to drive my truck. He says that the truck does fine for about 20 min.. If he lets off the gas, the turbo no longer wants to boost which is the problem that slows the truck down to 30. No matter what he does. However, if he turns off the truck. When the truck gets turned on again. The turbo is fine again till he lets off again. The funny part is there is no check engine light.

I was leaning toward a clogged filter. Now, I am not so sure. Then again it is cold and I have a scared wife at home.

To my knowledge she has been plugging it in at night.

Tail Gunner: Yes, I work on the BUFF on the flightline and have been to Teragi. I got to Minot about 2 years ago.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
O.K., got a little more information from a friend I sent over to drive my truck. He says that the truck does fine for about 20 min.. If he lets off the gas, the turbo no longer wants to boost which is the problem that slows the truck down to 30. No matter what he does. However, if he turns off the truck. When the truck gets turned on again. The turbo is fine again till he lets off again. The funny part is there is no check engine light.

If it were a 7.3, I'd be checking out the EBPV. Kinda sounds to me like the engine is dropping below normal operating temp's in the extreme cold causing the EBPV to close when you take your foot off. Maybe a partial "corrugated cold shield" in front of the radiator might help.:dunno But since it's a 6.0, sorry I can't be as much help. :sorry

Tail Gunner: Yes, I work on the BUFF on the flightline and have been to Teragi. I got to Minot about 2 years ago.

Say hi to my old jet 61-040. My name was on her side from Apr 77 to about Apr 78 as the assistant C/C.

SIGNATURE QUOTE:
B-52 Gunner/Instructor/Flight Examiner, 3600+ Flight Hours
B-52 Crew Chief- B-52H, 61-040 the last B-52 ever built, was my plane.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58