Milwaukee 18V Batteries

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Anyone using the Milwaukee cordless 18V batteries? I use mine 1 time a month and I am on the 3rd battery in 3 years. These do not last anything like my Makita did. It appears that something must short inside, because I can measure across the terminals and get 0 Volts. Has anyone seen a fix or a DIY article on repairing these?

I seen that kbud14 posted some re-call information, thanks Kbud14. I am hoping that mine are re-called otherwise these batteries are $60-$70 for the battery alone.

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any Milwaukee cordless tools but I have had the same problem with dewalt 18V batteries. I have been through 4 batteries in 12 months. I am beginning to wonder if it has something to do with how long they they sit on the shelf at the retail stores. :dunno

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Milwaukee's new V18 batteries are a whole lot better than the older ones, lighter, last longer, etc. Not cheap but worth it. Milwaukee even had a trade in program on your old batteries for a while, it was a really good upgrade deal. I dunno if it's still running or not...

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The batteries question, do you always have batteries on charge? Or do you only recharge before you need tool?
I think if always on charge you shorten battery life. I found this out with another tool.
Just my 2 cents

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
its not just milwaulkee batteries
my ryobi 18v are doing the same thing
seems the old style gray/black bottom ones last longer than the new yellow topped ones
for some reason if they sit for a day fully charged they will only last a few minutes in the drill under high load

i know i havent hit the 1k charges yet on the yellows but i have gone over it on the old ones :dunno

it helped some if i take the flashlight and leave it one till the battery is dead dead and then recharge it, it seems to make em last a bit longer for a few charge cycles

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
These batteries will form a short between the cells and ground. The cure is to take 4 times the battery voltage and put it + to + and - to - and this will burn out the short. No guaranty this will work.

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58