Help Needed miss, stumble, and dies

proudvet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This morning my 99 7.3 started to miss, stumble, whatever you want to call it. Now I can't drive more than a mile before it dies. I'm new to diesels and am clueless. Please help.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning my 99 7.3 started to miss, stumble, whatever you want to call it. Now I can't drive more than a mile before it dies. I'm new to diesels and am clueless. Please help.

Sounds like the CPS (Cam Position Sensor) has gone bad.

There is a Recall on it, Check with Ford, they'll replace it.. or you can R&R it yourself..

Located at the 10 o'clock position, under the waterpump, above the crankshaft pully. 1, 2 pin connector, 1 hold down clamp & bolt, pull the old one out, put the new one in (dress the O ring), done deal.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
:welcome2 proudvet. Go to the Quick Links in the BLUE LINE ABOVE and click on Edit Signature and fill out where you live and what you rdive along with any mods. This will help us better help you! :)

Dave :)

proudvet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'll check with the dealer on the recall. If it's not one I can change it myself. Once again, thanks.

proudvet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
changed the cps

I changed out the cam position sensor and no luck. The truck still does the same thing. Anymore ideas?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay.. A New to You Diesel. You being New to a Diesel, and new to SDD..

These PSD's are VERY sensitive to having good, strong 12 volts, and the proper Amperage... sooo.. the place to start trouble shooting this intermittent Stumble, Miss.. is the Battery's & connections.

1. Clean your Battery cable clamps and posts.. 'til they shine.

2. Load test Each battery, independent of each other. If one test bad or weak.. if you need a replacement, replace them BOTH, with battery's of the same Brand, Proper Group and Amps.

3. Then, give [All] the connections under the hood a Real good visual and wiggle check... for being Clean & Tight.

Once you've done this.. get back to us, and we'll go from there ?

Joe

Last edited:

proudvet

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have checked all the connections I can find. Those were good. I will unhook the bats and put a meter on them. Thanks.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much current should I get?

They need to be LOAD tested, but a volt reading should be: no less than 12.6v static (no load), No more than 14.7, engine running. It can get purdy Technical just doing a Volt test... thats why you really need to get them Load Tested.. disconnected from each other.

A "load test" will give you the overall Condition of each battery.

Joe

A volt test should be done.. after it has set for 3~4 hours.. so any Surface Charge has dissipated.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58