missing on a cylinder

soldierncowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Quick question guys... got the injector o rings replaced... to find out that im missing on a cylinder... i gotta do a compression test on the truck to find out just which cylinder its missing on... what is gonna be the cause of that? if it is an injector, would i be able to replace just the injector in that cylinder? or do i have to replace all 8? dumb question i know... but im still learnin guys, so please just be patient with me... :sorry

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
What truck are you talking about? Fill out your signature by going to the Quick Links Button and filling out your signature. This helps us help you.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick question guys... got the injector o rings replaced... to find out that im missing on a cylinder... i gotta do a compression test on the truck to find out just which cylinder its missing on... what is gonna be the cause of that? if it is an injector, would i be able to replace just the injector in that cylinder? or do i have to replace all 8? dumb question i know... but im still learnin guys, so please just be patient with me... :sorry

Who did the work ?

On the Good, Better, Best scale.... Injectors are BEST replaced in sets of 8.

(if you don't.. yul most likely be replaceing them, 1 More, at a time... in the near future. If 1 got tired (?) the other 7 are soon to follow ?)

Joe

Last edited:

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be something as simple as a wiring connection knoecked loose on the injector. Probably should pull the valvecover on the affected side and run it to see what's up. Cheers!

soldierncowboy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well, the pigtails leading to the injector harnesses under the valve covers are brand new... its still missing tho... and it was missing before... also, the injectors were just removed to replace the o rings... the reason i want to only switch one right now, is that 250 dollars is far more managable that for a full set...

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It was missing before the injector change? Now we have something to go on. UVC (Under Valve Cover) wiring is good, so the miss could be an o-ring that got installed wrong or a bad injector. Since the PCM of your truck is so early, the chances of it revealing anything during a scan are slim to non-existant. I would stick to what you know and check all of the injectors by unplugging each one until you find the "bad" cylinder. Good Luck and have fun...

Dave :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the guy that did the work is a pretty reputable diesel mechanic here... but, what ur sayin tho, is that i can in fact replace only one injector?

Yes, you can replace just one.

and to reiterate... is it most likely an injector that is the cause of the missing cylinder?
:dunno

Most likely.. but it Could be what Patrick sez below, too

It could be something as simple as a wiring connection knoecked loose on the injector. Probably should pull the valvecover on the affected side and run it to see what's up. Cheers!

well, the pigtails leading to the injector harnesses under the valve covers are brand new... its still missing tho... and it was missing before... also, the injectors were just removed to replace the o rings... the reason i want to only switch one right now, is that 250 dollars is far more managable that for a full set...

Just one.. or all 8 is your call.. based on the Bucks.. is understood.

It was missing before the injector change? Now we have something to go on. UVC (Under Valve Cover) wiring is good, so the miss could be an o-ring that got installed wrong or a bad injector. Since the PCM of your truck is so early, the chances of it revealing anything during a scan are slim to non-existant. I would stick to what you know and check all of the injectors by unplugging each one until you find the "bad" cylinder. Good Luck and have fun...

Dave :)

As Dave and Patrick have eluded to.. a little more trouble shooting might be in order.. before you start buying anything ????

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58