Mixing bio and regular diesel fuels.

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
I'm going to be traveling to OH in a few weeks so I'll be filling up the tank with diesel before I leave. I'm told there are some bio stations along the route I'll be taking and wanted to find out if it's okay to mix bio with regular diesel fuel. Don't know much about the bio, there are no stations around here that sell it and not sure if I should mix the two fuels. :confused:

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mix 'em. They mix well in any percentage.

If you run it near full strength, you might want to bring along a spare fuel filter, just in case. You'll probably not need it, but better to be prepared than stranded...

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Mix 'em. They mix well in any percentage.
If you run it near full strength, you might want to bring along a spare fuel filter, just in case. You'll probably not need it, but better to be prepared than stranded...

Thanks for the info. I have 2 fuel filters on the truck, one regular up top and a Dahl 100 below. That should be a big help I would think.

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
high concentrations of bio will destroy your Dahl. They claim it is bio-compatible but it isnt. The Racor, however, is. Stick with B20 and you should be ok.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
What portion of the Dahl is destroyed by bio???

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
The inside completely delaminates and comes apart. Maybe someone can find the thread where it was discussed and Roosterdiesel put up pictures of his filter. He switched to a Racor and has had no problems.

found it

Last edited:

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I don't have a heater on mine, so I'm good. Just filled w/ B99 today.

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
I don't have a heater on mine either but if using the B99 is gonna cause a problem with the filter than I may just have to switch to a different filter. We don't have any biodiesel around these parts but I do a lot of traveling in the summer and I'm pretty sure I'll be running into biodiesel somewhere...good info to know......:)

Last edited:

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
You need spare filters because biodiesel in high concentration makes a very good tank cleaner. All of the gunk in the tank, in the fuel lines, will be dissolved and suspended in the fuel. It reaches the filter and the filter does its job. The filter plugs up, the engine stops.

So having a heater or not, or changing to a different brand of filter won't make a difference, but once a few tanks of bio go through the system, you won't have as much to worry about.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rray is right....Although, my personal experience was that I didn't have any gunk in my tanks, apparently. I never did plug a filter. :dunno But, like I said, better safe than stranded.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14