MOBIL-1 Synthetic ATF warning!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just FYI, it appears the MOBIL-1 has changed their Synthetic ATF.

It is now DUAL RATED, Mercon-V compatible.

By the Ford manual, it is NO LONGER compatible with our 4R100 transmissions.

You may still be able to find the original bottles that are just MERCON rated, but read the label carefully and make sure there is NO MERCON-V rating on it anywhere.

If you have an aftermarket rebuilt tranny such as a BTS, you should go by the recommendation of the tranny builder, as your transmission may no longer have the ford parts that required the MERCON only fluid.

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Motorcraft just came out with their ATF fluid. I went to the parts store when I did the sonnax and wanted to get motorcraft atf fluid. I look at the bottle and it says it's made for mercon and merconV. So I guess if ford says it's ok then I'm going to use it. It stated that it is compatible for both trans.

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Justin, you need to take that fluid back, it will not work in your tranny. If you read your manual it says not to use dual rated fluids. I know the bottle says it works in both, but your manual says not to.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
yep just like bryan said
the dual stuff is a NO NO in the 4r100 trannies
mercon V is a hard one to find, but wall world usually has some hid out.
I returned about 20 quarts when we got the new truck
now I cant find the junk for the torque shifty mercon sp
tranny has been out for how long????? and no aftermarket fluid yet??
weird

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
police stroker said:
So I guess if ford says it's ok then I'm going to use it. It stated that it is compatible for both trans.
Start saving your money. You will have a new tranny rebuild in your future. Especially if you do any heavy towing or have a heavy foot. Your owners manual says it is not OK and so do many tranny experts. Maybe this is a way for you to get a new BTS tranny??????
Jim

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Accordint to the website you gave, it is Dexron compatible and not Mercon compatible. Correct??

Dave:dunno :dunno

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That website shows Dexron III and Mercon but I don't see Mercon V anywhere. It's probably a little clearer if you click on the link at the bottom of that page for the data sheet for the oil. It gives the specs it meets, etc.

Regards,
Dave

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well looks like I'll be draining the trans to replace the fluid from the sonnnax install. Boy this ticks me off.... Motorcraft bottle says dexron 3 also meets mercon 5 approved for H specification Ford ref number 173581. Well the last week it's been shifting good but I guess I need to run by the parts store to get some new fluid.....oh well another project!

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, the deal is, if you can find Mobil-1 Synthetic ATF, and it DOES NOT say Mercon-V on it, then your OK and you can use it.

PROBLEM IS!

Mobil-1 has been found to be selling the "multi-vehicle" stuff in an IDENTICAL bottle to what we have always been buying. Which was the silver bottle that said Mobil-1 ATF.

So the warning is, Double Check those Mobil-1 bottles and make sure they dont say Mercon-V anywhere on it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58