Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5W40 or Royal Purple

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
I know this is a popular subject and there have been lots of posts, but haven't seen anything about these two synthetic oils. Does anyone use them? If so, what are the results. Also, I only have about 4k on the clock, should I change over to synthetic now or wait until 10k or so? I know Shell Rotella and Amsoil also make full synthetics, any advantage there?

Thanks

ShraderMan

stroke_smoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i still use plain old rotella 15-40 year round. what are the advantages of synthetic?

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
stroke_smoke said:
i still use plain old rotella 15-40 year round. what are the advantages of synthetic?

Well...

My X seems to start easier, run quieter, and get about 1 or 2 MPG better on synthetic oil. Also, if you put an oil bypass filter your truck, you can get about 25k between oil changes, assuming you get the oil analyzed every 5k or so.

Downside is the cost of the synthetic.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Syn oils make the engine run much smoother and quiter, due to lower friction. They are supposed to run longer between changes due to the fact that they don't breakdown as quickly as Dino oils. There is a ton of information at www.bobistheoilguy.com so I defer to him on any questions. This is a personal subject and people get pretty intense over their favorite oil, syn or dino.

Dave

Shraderman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Alabama for the Weather, Canada for the $Money$
Didn't mean to stir up any personal feelings or ruffle any feathers. I have run synthetic in a gas burner and liked it. I have seen posts where folks have said that they run Amsoil or Rotella Synthetic in their PSD. The two most commonly available to me are Mobil 1 and Royal Purple. I just hadn't heard anyone else ever talk about them. I did notice that they are both rated CI4 and Ford recommends the Mobil 1.

The other upside is no sludge in the crankcase. The obvious downside is price. Also, I have heard some folks have issues with seals which leak after using synthetic. Although this last one seems to have went away in the last few years.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No personal knowledge other than I changed over to rotella Syn @ about 7500 on my 05....
I do recall a screening on HP TV about dynoing something, changing the fluids to Royal Purple (oil, diff, tranny, etc..) and dynoing right after and there was a measureable HP bump...
don't recall the difference, but it was suprisingly higher than I would have thought....

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Bob at www.bobistheoilguy.com thinks very highly of Royal Purple. I would go with it if you can find it locally. I was going to use RP but I can't find it around here. I know I can order it and have it shipped, but... I ended up running Rotella Syn.

Dave

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend Rotella-Syn or the new Mobil Turbo Diesel (formally known as Truck & SUV).

Rotella-Syn is currently CI4+ rated and the new Mobil will be (Truck & SUV is not). I switched to Rotell-Syn (5W-40) for the following reasons.

1) Lower cost than Royal Purple, Amsoil, Shaffers and other brands.

2) Readily available at Walmart (Rotella as I type and soon to be the new Mobil Turbo Diesel lable).

3) Lower cost for both brands as well (I use Rotella due to lower cost).

4) I trust the Rotella and Mobil brands and reputation. I am sure the others are good, but I will stick with the majors.

5) I picked up a solid 1mpg as soon as I switched to Rotella 5W-40.

6) Easier cold weather starts and operation.

7) Better heat disipation properties for turbo bearing lubrication.
--------------------------------------

Now days, there is no real "bad oil", but make sure that it is rated with the CI4+ API rating (some say meets the spec and others actually carry the certified rating symbol). I like being able to go to Walmart and buy what I need when I need it withoout ordering or searching for a dealer.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the Mobil 1 5w-40 was CI4+ rated? What's odd is the Mobil website actually recommends 0w-30 for the best performance. I'll recheck and see...

Beachbumcook

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobil 1 Truck & SUV (now discontinued) was only CI4 rated

Mobil Turbo Diesel (new oil formulation) is going to be CI4+ rated when available.

Delvac 5W-40 is CI4+ rated, but expensive and hard to find.

This is why I went with Rotella-Syn 5W-40 as it is CI4+ rated and readily available. Many like Mobil 1 as it is a true synthetic base stock and Rotella-Syn is a Group III oil which is a highly refined dino base stock made to syn. standards... but equally good for all of us.

Depending on price, I may switch to the new Mobil Turbo Diesel oil when it comes out as I do trust Mobil products.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14