Mobil Delvac 1 vs Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Compare these two and see which one you think is better.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 102
cSt @ 100ºC 14.8
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 151
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.35
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 12
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.854

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

SAE Grade 5W-40
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40ºC 100.4
cSt @ 100ºC 14.9
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 155
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.0
Total Base #, mg KOH/g, ASTM D 2896 10.7
Density @ 15ºC kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.85

When the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck came out a few years ago I thought it was just Delvac 1 with a different jug but there are some minor differences.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good lord talk about "the same"...

whats the price difference ?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have never compared prices but I will the next time I purchase some. I guess I will go with the cheaper one which I am guessing will be the Delvac 1 but we will see.

atk

Reaction score
looks like minor differences....i can get the MOBIL 1 TDT 5w40 for 35.00 for a 5 liter jug...not sure about the Delvac, having a hard time finding it up here....

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I have never compared prices but I will the next time I purchase some. I guess I will go with the cheaper one which I am guessing will be the Delvac 1 but we will see.

I will add this, when it comes to an oil change, stick with what you have been using regardless of a few bucks differential in price.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will add this, when it comes to an oil change, stick with what you have been using regardless of a few bucks differential in price.

Very good advice Mike. ;tu

Was talking with an 06 PSD guy that buys whatever Brand of 5w40 is the cheapest when he changes oil.. always brags about it. He was saying that his 6.0 is using oil these dayz.. like 1-2 qts a week.

Wunder'n why :dunno (;))

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
When it comes to an oil change, stick with what you have been using regardless of a few bucks differential in price.

I agree and is why I was asking about the difference in the two oils. They appear to me to be very close to the same(if not the same) - so close that switching would not matter. Do you think they are different enough that I should not switch?

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I agree and is why I was asking about the difference in the two oils. They appear to me to be very close to the same(if not the same) - so close that switching would not matter. Do you think they are different enough that I should not switch?

My question would be.... Why are you looking to switch in the first place? Simple economics? Not satisfied with the current performance or?

I agree, both oils look to be very similar but unless one is half the price of the other I dont see the benefits in switching.:dunno

With as few miles as you put on your 96 your looking at what... 2 oil changes a year? I just dont see economics playing into this. ;)

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My question would be.... Why are you looking to switch in the first place? Simple economics? Not satisfied with the current performance or?

I agree, both oils look to be very similar but unless one is half the price of the other I dont see the benefits in switching.:dunno

With as few miles as you put on your 96 your looking at what... 2 oil changes a year? I just dont see economics playing into this. ;)

Yes economics. If you look at another thread in this section you will see a guy posted that the Turbo Diesel Truck Oil is now available at Wal-Mart. I have not purchased any oil since December but if I remember right it cost me well over $100 for the Delvac 1 and I am sure that has went up. My first step before I wasted time going to see if my local Wal-Mart had the TDT oil was to see if I even wanted it in my truck.

2 oil changes a year :dunno What you talking about - One is enough for me :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58