MOBIL SYNTHETIC ATF ?????

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys&Gals,,,,

So, I finally decided to change out the tranny fluid in my 99F350@80K miles. Sprung for the MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC (20 Quarts---$120) from the Walmart shelves. Now I notice that several quart bottles say DEXTRON/MERCON & MERCON V-----While sone of the bottles just say MERCON V. They both say Multi Vehicle Formular. What gives??

I had considered Amsoil---but, its much more Expensive, Shipping aint free, and they collect State and other taxes.

I have not done the switch yet----and can get mt $$s back, if reqiured.

Does Ford still say not to use any ATF if it is MERCON V rated in the 4R100 transmission? If you read the application list on the bottles, they both say for use in Ford vehicles that require MERCON.

Please Help

Thanks------Jesse East

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
There is an expert named Mark Kovalsky that I met on line years ago that was a Ford tranny engineer. He no longer works for Ford but he says its now OK to use the new Mobil 1 because it has been reformulated. He has more knowledge about the 4R100 than anyone I have read. I would trust his statement that he wrote a few weeks ago on another site. He says, "go for it. Use it." On the other hand, I have 18 qts of the old stuff on my shelf and I probably will stay with it.
Jim

Last edited:

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Many Thanks, JD-----That makes me feel a whole lot better.

Now I wont have to go looking for the other stuff when what I got will work.

BTW, The Mobil 1 quart bottles have the same UPC. One says SuperSyn and the other says Fully Synthetic. Go figure.

Jesse East

Jesse East

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just completed the 4R100 tranny flush and fill routine. Used up nearly 20 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic ATF. Bottles said Multi Vehicle Formula and rated for Mercon V for use in all Ford products from 1988 on. Hope this is OK since it goes against the Ford manual.

Also, wish someone would have mentioned that the return line from the cooler was a flare fitting--not a ferrel fitting. I measured the line at 3/8" and bought 3/8" ID clear tubing----could not get this fairly rigid tubing to fit over the flare, needed 1/2" tubing. Had to jerry-rig a hose fitting to use the smaller tube. But, was able to complete the job without having to return to the hardware store for larger tubing.

Just something you should be aware of if you are into this DIY project.

Jesse East

JSPulliam21

Uva Uvam Vivendo Vari Fit
Reaction score
The Amsoil is a certified ill for MANY different applications. You will be OK with the Mobil1 Synthetic fluid, and it's a good choice for long life.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58