Question modded idm

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
What's the deal with this idm mod, is it worth the trouble? Watched a video of it on the web, guy was pretty animate that you had to be extremely careful. What does it do exactly? I've searched the forums here, but nobody's talking about this one. Could be good, could be bad....:watchout

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
the idm uses 100volts to fire the injectors. the idm mod is simply the replacement of a resistor, to make the idm fire the injectors with 140volts. this makes the injectors open faster, and ultimately stay open longer.

check out these links for a little more info....
IDM Mod
Powerstroke Diesel IDM mod

also, there are professionally modified IDM's available.....but there is obviously a financial advantage to doing it yourself.

Last edited:

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the OBS trucks have a 100 V IDM the early 99 has a 110 v IDM and 20 HP gains can be had with the 140 resistor..99.5-03 trucks have 120 V IDM's.. little less HP gains.. but throttle response and low end power can be felt...
here is a pic of the resistor that needs to changed..as you can see in my sig I have done this mod and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be..the hard part was getting over the fear of messing up a $600 IDM..

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
my resistors are in the mail :D im finally starting to do some of those power mods to take advantage of my injectors.

the hard part was getting over the fear of messing up a $600 IDM..

thats trouble for a lot of people. you need to look at the job for what it is....replacing a little resistor. if you arent a bumbling fool with the soldering, you really should not have any issues at all. its also an opportunity to open up the idm and make sure its not getting water inside, wich will fry it!

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought 20 of each..i got a big break on them that way..i gave a bunch away..they only cost me like 2 or 3 cents a piece with the shipping..i dont have any more for the 120 V IDM 99.5-03 trucks...but i do have some for the early 99 and OBS trucks...if any one wants one..send me your address in a PM..

Last edited:

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info guys, I just keep adding to my todo list. Any reason why they stop at 140v?

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its about all the injectors can handle..i think swamps diesel make a super modod for high HP trucks..but it takes big injectors to use it..

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i saw a post somewhere, and the guy had tested the higher voltages, and the injectors actually handled it but the opening time of the injectors had "capped out" so the extra voltage was pointless. he was monitoring the opening time, solenoid and idm temperature, as well as the wiring temp.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok question. I have looked at doing this mod but I heard you can't do this mod if you have a chip or programmer. Is this correct?

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
platinum you are thinking of the 10k mod. i think there wouldnt be a noticeable difference with a chip, 20hp added to 400 versus 20 hp added to stock 225.....it wouldnt hurt for sure.

i did mine tonight, i must say it made a BIG difference. my truck is still running stock programming though. my pedal application is noticeably less while cruising at familiar speeds on the drive home.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58