more charging system problems!

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Ive had my truck over here in Germany for about 5 months. No major problems until now. The other day when I pulled in the driveway, I noticed my pyrometer gauge not reading anything at all.(I always wait until it's at 350 degrees or below before shutting the truck off, especially now that I consistently run at least 90-100 mph on the autobahn for 5 miles everyday). so I shut the truck off, tried to restart and nothing! I recently(within the last 8 months) replaced both batts(die hard platinums) and had my alternator rebuilt by a reputable shop in Louisiana. After having my alt rebuilt, it only lasted about 3 months before the voltage regulator quit on me. The symptom I had with the bad voltage regulator was the battery indicator light on the dash was intermittent. The shop installed a new voltage regulator and it has been fine since. The battery indicator light hasn't come on with this latest issue. I measured the voltage at the positive post on the alternator today while the truck was running and I had 12.3 volts. This points to a bad alternator. I plan on pulling it when I have time to check the diode pack, because I have an extra from the shop that rebuilt it due to that being a know issue with the 6G alt's. I have ordered a new GPR (Stancor) to eliminate a possible bad GPR. I also plan on adding an extra 4 gauge positive and ground to my alternator. I have clean connections and have been charging my batts every two days since this issue started.

just wondering if I'm missing anything?

I'm thinking of buying an alternator to have in my toolbox, seeing as how I'm here in Germany with little support for my setup. any suggestions on aftermarket alternator's?

I've heard of DC power, but their cheapest are out of stock right now and I'm not willing to pay $600.

anybody have any experience with this company?
http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-10056...esel-f250-f350-truck-95-96-97-98-220-amp.aspx

Any input would be appreciated.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at FICMrepair.com they have some good alt. and cable upgrade kits. 12.3 is a dead alt. the rectifier or the voltage regulator kicked the bucket.
I bet there just loving that big monster running around on there roads...LOL

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your driving that fast day after day, I sure hope you have High Speed rated tires on that 8800 LB beast of a truck.
Thank you for your sevrice and I sure hope you can get your truck fixed right real soon.
Doug

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Great point! And yes, they are rated to 106 mph. I usually dont break 100 though just to be safe. I was surprised how many people didnt know about tire speed ratings over here!

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
You could pull it apart and ohm out the rectifier.. And make sure the rotor and stator windings aren't open or shorted.. Does it have power to all three terminals KOEO?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track