Question more new truck-buying decisions '10 vs '11

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it goes against free market but in some cases, limits on emmissions are good, such as from factories. but in heavy duty trucks, the better mileage would probably make up for it or close to it. my guess is that if your speedo is off and hasn't been recalibrated then your overhead readout will be the same and be innaccurate. unless youre talking about a GPS device

Yea. I'm driving back home next week and I'm going back through the natchez trace, starting in Jackson, MS. It will be about a 3hr drive trough a 45-50mph speed zone and I'm going to use my GPS to do the actual milage. I'm gogin to try to work between the 3/4-1/4 marks on the fuel gauge. Does anyone know how much fuel that is between those marks?....its half a tank and I'm not sure exactly what that is.

Last time I drove it, my spedo said 45 and my GPS was saying 48. With that, the overhead display said I got 21.7mpg by the time I got off of the trace.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
government intervention was not a 'willing' policy, and the new targets are a recent thing. the mandates on fuel efficiency is/was ancient. research it- clinton era targets. 10+ years outmoded.

you are missing an important point- fuel economy has nothing to do with emissions. the two are related, but not directly dependent on one another.

keep in mind that emissions levels have CHANGED over the last few years. iirc, its like a 90% reduction in the last 10 years, might even be 95%. yes we are squeezing more out of a gallon of fuel, but the limits on what we can exhaust is getting smaller too.

No debate there. I was just thinking about that while ago...kinda pondering while I was driving....

We are getting more mpg by burning the fuel more efficiently so there is not as much raw fuel being shot out the tail pipe. So the emissions are the same amount but they are cleaner by doing the mods. This is just my theory....how much truth to it:dunno

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
technically correct, but at the COST of removing almost all of the emissions controls. the jury is till out on longevity and reliability on those mods. not to mentions that its federal illegal. heck, why bother with any of the emissions. just strip it ALL off. you've got compound turbos, right, so lots of power and black smoke when you stomp on it.

my point is that the 6.7 is not going to be easy to hack. if the European's experience with modding these systems is any indicator, the 'performance gains' are going to small and be expensive for those gains. the sensors and engine controls are so intertwined that it is not going to be easy. there is just not that much room to tweak it. its got EGR, SCR, DPF, multi-injection events per combustion cycle. the brits at rover who developed this are clever guys, they have squeezed a lot out of that CGI block already to get 400hp and 750# of torque out of it.

I seen a vid on youtube that was recently posted of the stock 6.7 quarter mile. 15.78 is not bad. I also noticed that its a LOT lighter than my F350. Man if they do start doing mods to this thing as much as you can do with the earlier models......:eek: .....put wings on 'er and let 'er fly

YouTube - 2011 F350 6.7 Powerstroke 15.78 @ 84.5 Gainesville Raceway

doc stang

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Different issue
considering this truck will largely be a Daily Driver about town

and, when towing, will pull 8-9,000 lbs 2-4 hours over easentailly flat to undulating terrain
once to twice a month . . .

Is the 3.31:1 rear-end too high a gear
(trying to further improve mpg)

or is the 3.55:1 as high as I should go

the 3.73 seems way-low / overkill

Doc

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different issue
and when towing will pull 8-9,000 lbs 2-4 hours over easentailly flat to undulating terrain

is the 3.31:1 rear-end too high a gear

the 3.73 seems way overkill

Doc

If you have big tires you dont need to go too high in the gearing. But other than that, I'm no expert on gear ratios

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd get the 2011, the 6.4's are decent but they get garbage mileage even with tuning unless u cut the dpf and have to lift cab to do just about everything. The 2011 trucks get good mileage and do not need cab off repair work. Also from what i've seen and heard go like hell. If i bought another truck it would probably be another 6.0l. I love the sound/fuel mileage/single vgt and they are more reliable than people think and are easier to work on.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different issue

and, when towing, will pull 8-9,000 lbs 2-4 hours over easentailly flat to undulating terrain

Doc

I wouldn't go any higher than 3.73. I have 3.73's LS in my truck and i get 14 city and 17-18 highway and it takes off from a stop good. 4.10 are overkill for a DD.

atvrider93

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yea. I'm driving back home next week and I'm going back through the natchez trace, starting in Jackson, MS. It will be about a 3hr drive trough a 45-50mph speed zone and I'm going to use my GPS to do the actual milage. I'm gogin to try to work between the 3/4-1/4 marks on the fuel gauge. Does anyone know how much fuel that is between those marks?....its half a tank and I'm not sure exactly what that is.

Last time I drove it, my spedo said 45 and my GPS was saying 48. With that, the overhead display said I got 21.7mpg by the time I got off of the trace.

I would fill the tank, reset trip distance on gps then drive until don ewith that part then re-fill up and see how much fuel it takes. divide the miles on the GPS by the gallons filled up

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Different issue

Doc

I have a 3.55 rear. My first fill up was 15.1 mpg (hand calc). All city. My bed is also full of stuff. Probably 1200lbs. I think you have plenty of room with the 3.31. On easy takeoffs I am in 3rd before I am through an intersection (not in tow/haul mode). I couldn't find a truck with the 3.31 or I would have got one. I haven't towed yet but I will be pulling 7K from Buffalo to Bremerton, WA next month.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Doc, don't you live in SC, and don't they have some big hills over your way. I drove from BRM to Alt today pulling my fifthwheel and was glad to have the 4.10s so I am thinking the 3.73s would work great pulling your trailer.
Doug

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14