More turbo whistle??

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I was over snoopin around the other site ( forgive me hehehe ). But one of thir threads disscussed gettin more sound outta the turbo. They said something about removin the cover to the intake tube of the intercooler? Some foil type sleeve?? Just wondered is all.

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fireman said:
Hey folks,
I was over snoopin around the other site ( forgive me hehehe ). But one of thir threads disscussed gettin more sound outta the turbo. They said something about removin the cover to the intake tube of the intercooler? Some foil type sleeve?? Just wondered is all.

Yep--the driver's side IC tube is covered with a foil-over-fiber sound deadening material. When I removed mine, I cut the foil with aviation shears, pulled off as much of the insulation material (fiberglass?) as I could by hand, then used a wire wheel in a bench grinder to get the last big chunks of residue. A final scouring with a green Scotchbrite pad and Goo-Gone finished it up quite nicely.

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Went out an looked at my truck between runs. Didn't see any foil type stuff? Just the blue boots on each end. But there was some residue or what looked like residue on the pipes that might have been left behind by some type or tape or wrap? I guess a pic would be nice to fully understand this? At least for me.

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Police Stroker: I have the early 99. Thought they came with the wicked wheel? I know I can't get the ATS housing unless I completly upgrade the turbo to at least a 99.5. I dunno could be wrong?

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The early 99's did not have this ins on the tube, thats one of the things they did to quiet down the turbo's.

You cant add an ATS housing without upgrading to the late 99 turbo setup, but by the time you've done all that you could have a BB or H2e...

ryaneverk2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add an open-element air intake, straight pipe your exhaust - those two things alone will increase the turbo sounds quite a bit. Adding some programming will, as well.

Wicked wheel will also, ats housing will, or a bb turbo or likewise.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14