FYI Motorcraft Synthetic 5W-40 Engine Oil

Fandini

Binford 6100 Owner
Reaction score
Synthetic is great! It has many good points, but extending your OCI under any circumstances IS NOT RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is what many of the best Ford mechanics have told me OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!!! "The only way to safely extend your oil change interval is to increase the capacity of your crankcase," is a direct quote from a Ford Certified Master Diesel Mechanic who has been working on Ford's diesel since they came out. I know many have seen success with synthetics and a quality by-pass filter but there are many that have also had failures. The injection system is HELL on the oil in this engine and needs clean oil to operate properly and have a long trouble free life, end of story!!!! Best bet, stay with regular OCI. The addition of a quality synthetic and a bypass filter is just a plus!

MJ Synthetics

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jetpilot whats your thoughts on this?

I talked to a hydraulics engineer who is quite knowledgable in automotive oils and has experience with thousands of UOA reports. He says that the 6.0L will shear 40W oil down to 30W then it tapers off. He said that the shearing could be reduced by using a 5W-30 weight oil instead of a 40W. Of course we have established the OCI is critical in the 6.0L

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
extending OCI

If you extend your OCI, then you better use an oil analysis. As long as your oil analysis is good, you're good to go. Only a bypass oil filter is going to extend your OCI wrt particulate contamination, and the synthetic is going to have the upper hand with the additive package. The 6.0 is the hardest diesel on oil due to its injection system, and oil degredation has the worst effect on the 6.0 diesel wrt engine performance. Synthetic has the upper hand with cold start performance, and hot temperature performance also. On the Corvette there was oil temp issues, so they had the option of an oil cooler, or using synthetic, so the Corvette uses synthetic, as it is lighter than the oil cooler. Turbine engines have been using synthetic oil forever because of it's superiority over dino. If you are looking for longevity out of your engine, no one can argue that synthetic is the best oil you can use. Cost is the only argument, but with the money most spend on performance additions to the powerstoke, it doesn't make much sense to me to spend a bunch on intakes, injectors, turbos, exhausts, power chips, etc, unless you also realize basis for 6.0 reliability is clean stable oil ---SYNTHETIC.

Fandini

Binford 6100 Owner
Reaction score
I agree with jet. To add to the point of extending your oil change intervals, it's cheap insurance to stay with regular OCI. My PSD is stock, I like the advantages of synthetic so I run it and change it every 5000 miles. May be stupid but I view it as cheap insurance, and based on everything I've learned about the 6.0 I prefer to take the safe route.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been using syn oil for years now, and I change it every 5,000 miles along with the filter.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58