Motorcycle Transmission Problem

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zook...you sure that chain didnt break ?
the case sure is torn up right where the output shalf/seal is.

whats the clutch basket look like ?

atk

Reaction score
not always the chain has to break to cause this carnage. a chain coming off will do the same damage as it will get bunched up betweem the sproket and the case...have seen it and fix a few bikes and atv`s that this has happened too....just my :2c

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Jimmy...
not uncommon with the Vulcan. One of the guys that works with me had his trans and rear end rebuilt on Kaw's dime at about 1,500 miles

Zook...
dude, that thing's blowed up real good!

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing the Vulcan with a Yamaha. I've had 6 of them and never had a problem. My 87 Venture I had for 11 years and put almost 50k on it. I like the looks of the FJR 1300A. I can get a new one for about 11,500 and it looks like a fun but comfortable ride.
Jim

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
definatly not a chain issue, and if it was the damage would have been much different.

as far as the clutch basket, EVERYTHING is perfect inside the cases with the exception of the output shaft.

apparently another quad did the same thing, in the exact spot my brothers blew. its a terribly whooped out straightaway, wich leads me to my next theory....with the wheels spinning wide open throttle in the air and slapping the face of the whoops slamming the tires from "air" speed to "ground" speed repeatedly would cause that chain to rip back on the front sprocket rapid fire...im not sure. i dont think we will ever figure it out 100%. i just know it needs to be back together for the next race :doh:

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Brought my manual to the mechanic working on the bike and he showed me the damage. Poor quality control from the factory. Gears were not shimmed properly and kept the low gear from locking into what ever other gear it locks into from going all the way in. Fork was bent and the dogs were rounded. Everything else looked great.
Said if the gears had been shimmed properly, damage would have taken another 50-75k to have happened. Said gears were hardly broke in yet. Too bad its a 1999 and not being fixed on Kaw's dime. Probably going to write them a nice letter anyway expressing my love for the bike :( and their QC just to make me feel better about it.
Jim

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
I made a good fix for the problem with the tranny. The Kaw is for sale and the drive way now supports a new Yamaha, 1900cc/113ci Stratoliner. I should have stayed with Yamaha instead of purchasing the Kaw to begin with. I think this bike is going to be a great ride. :)
I put about 100 miles on yesterday and I can't believe what 1900cc does for the ride. The tach is laying right at 2k @ 55mph. I get a small amount of vib right at 75mph but only in the foot pads. Nothing at any other speed. Seems to be limited to 74-76 mph, the counter balancer seems to be doing its job very well. The engine is a little nosier but it is a good sound. Love the belt drive.
This is the best handling bike I ever rode. It has the comfort of a big touring bike but handles more like a sport bike. (Aluminum frame) I thought the 1500 Kaw had torque, but this thing is just awesome with power. I think it would be impossible to stall it by giving too much clutch too soon. Looks like it will do over 40mpg from my early testing of mileage. Going to love this ride.
Jim

ramprat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya know what, I've never heard of this problem with a 1500 Vulcan & I've been on a Kaw forum since 04 & ya would think in 3 years at least one of the members on a rather large Kaw forum would have had this problem.

I know several people with way way WAY more miles that that on 1500's and the have never had a problem.

Things that make ya go hummmmmmm.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Things that make ya go hummmmmmm.
No, it was more of a clunk, then a bang when it came back in gear. I didn't hear a hummmmmmmmm at all. I'll post the pictures of the gears when I get the bike back which should be next week some time.
Want to buy it. Its for sale. All fixed up with new gears and a shifting fork. This one has the gears shimmed as well.
Jim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14