MPG with TT seems low.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just returned from what seemed like a million mile trip pulling this:
Starcraft RV - 36RT

The trailer was pulled dry and only loaded with luggage and a cooler full of food and some adult water. The truck bed was 95% empty and I only took along a few hand tools. I estimate my combined weight around 12,500 lbs.

We headed south from Colorado Springs down to Odessa, TX then over to San Antonio then back to the Springs.

Other than Raton Pass, there were no major hills and I didnt encounter any major winds. Unfortunately, I averaged a hand calculated 10.6 mpg. My average speed was around 70 mph and my EGT's averaged around 900 degrees.

The truck pulled well and, other than throwing a wheel weight about 10 miles into the trip, didnt have one problem.

To me, my mpg seems really low. I pulled the same trailer with approximately the same load last summer and averaged 13.2 mpg over 900 miles. I also average about 14 mpg pulling my empty gooseneck which is about 800 lbs heavier. Based in that, I'm thinking the frontal area of the TT is the culprit.

If you guys think my mpg seems about right pulling this TT, I'm gonna get the biggest fifth wheel this truck will pull and quit dealing with the set-up and tear down of the pop-up.

JRJ04

Reaction score
last time oil, and oil and fuel filters have been changed? I dont know much about trailers, but someone else will chime in. 10.6 does seem a bit low. maybe a brake is seized up on the trailer? that would certainly create a lot of extra simulated load that would require more fuel.

lone_star_dsl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil and oil filter were changed the day before we left. I am running Rotella 15w40. Fuel filter has about 8k on it.

I thought a brake may have been dragging. The hubs were warm but not hot and there was no smell of burning brakes when we stopped for fuel.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10.5 @ 70 with a TT in tow is not all that outa line.. lone_star :dunno

I'm thinking yer 250, and a 36RT TT weighs more than yer estimating though. 12,000 GCVW seem a bit low.... to me.

Maybe take the whole "Rig" and get it weighed ??

Joe

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok my first thought was that's not too bad with a TT and based on the model number I was guessing a 36' tag model but once I clicked on the link I was very surprised to find
36RT_ext.jpg

what looks like a large popup with a roughly 4k empty weight and a 26 foot total length and a very long tongue you're getting 100% of the frontal area catching air since the tongue is so long I can tell you that when I hook up to my 1k 4X12 utilty trailer my highway mileage drops to 12mpg @70 loaded or empty it's all air drag.

I can see the 12k GCVW being about right if the mfg is reporting weights correctly that puts you with about 8K on the truck which is pretty close to what most weigh empty.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 with Brandon on the Tongue length/Air drag factor.

FWIW.. I'm at 18.8K GCVW with a 5r.. I get 10~12 MPG (rough math), but the 5r has an Aero nose cap and is "in the slip stream" so to speak.. as compared to your 36RT.

Still think you should get a known GCVW.. RV Base weights aren't known for their accuracy .. factor in the air drag/people wt./cargo/fuel/water and stuff... things can change, PDQ.

Joe

* I tow @ 58~62 MPH.. (under 2K RPM) another Factiod ?

Last edited:

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
I pull my 37' high cap 5er 9800# empty wt but run with full fresh water 40 + gal @ 75-80 and still get 11-12! I'd check all brake calipers make sure they move easy.(slider pins) only diff my truck is 2wd and zf6 speed.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Oil and oil filter were changed the day before we left. I am running Rotella 15w40. Fuel filter has about 8k on it.

I thought a brake may have been dragging. The hubs were warm but not hot and there was no smell of burning brakes when we stopped for fuel.

just a suggestion...but maybe the brakes have already burned up on it and you dont smell them because theres nothing left to burn?:dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58