MPG

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok....I am interested in upgrading my exhaust and gettting a performance chip, but if you could suggest one upgrade that would make the most difference in MPG, what would it be?

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
The chip/tuner will make the most difference. One problem though, you need to watch what is going on with your engine and transmission after you install a chip. The chip pushes some things to the limit of what they were intended you might say. There are safe levels you can monitor with gauges. So before you do a chip you should ALWAYS install gauges, then exhaust, some form of intake modification, and then you can do a chip or tuner. Welcome to the site.

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome Janders...
whatabudro is giving you the BEST way to do it...
some of us took shortcuts....

Get rid of the stock muffler, with either a muffler delete or a good flow thru muffler like the walker BTM...

get an SCT Xcal2 from one of the vendors and enjoy boht mpg and performance AND drivability gains :)
www.sctflash.com

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JohnBoyToo said:
Welcome Janders...
whatabudro is giving you the BEST way to do it...
some of us took shortcuts....

Get rid of the stock muffler, with either a muffler delete or a good flow thru muffler like the walker BTM...

get an SCT Xcal2 from one of the vendors and enjoy boht mpg and performance AND drivability gains :)
www.sctflash.com

Yip Janders... what Budro & Johnboy sez. If yer guna do anything to these PSDs, a set of guages are a must. You can learn to operate your PSD by the guages too. Compareing RPMs against Boost pressure verses MPH, and so on.

With what FORD gave you and what a good set of additional guages will tell you, you can get the most out of what you have and...... save yourself some money on needless repairs.

Guages First.

JOE

OBTW.... Welcome to SDD... A Good place to be. And Learn.

Last edited:

TexasExcursion

GOD Bless America!
Reaction score
janders said:
Ok....I am interested in upgrading my exhaust and gettting a performance chip, but if you could suggest one upgrade that would make the most difference in MPG, what would it be?

Whatabudro is right on the $$$.

As far as the most difference in MPG? Well, the biggest difference I saw was with the tuner. But the difference was DOWN since the extra power was soooo sweeeeet!!:sweet

FWIW, I installed the tuner a year BEFORE the exhaust and I had some problems with the turbo and backpressure. Luckily my Ford rep took care of me despite the tuner and replaced the turbo under warranty. After installing the exhaust, she ran purrfect. But learn from my mistake and do it the correct way and you'll be just fine. Gauges, exhaust and intake, then tuner.

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thank you for all the input. Ok, so now for the specifics. What is the most cost effective exhaust system to get? They walker BTM, etc. ?

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on YOUR needs... and only YOU know that...
if you want every last 1/4 HP then get a good turbo back system, if'n you just want to let the exhaust out so the egt's drop 150 to 200 degrees, Others and I have had excellent results with the Walker BTM lowering EGT's...
and for $54 delivered - not a bad try it to see if you like it...

Hope this is ok to post a link to a sound clip I uploaded from my 05 Excursion:
first steady state running down the road,
then idling with rear wings open,
then a short acceleration burst to let it "speak" :)
not the best movie - had no idea the lens was so dirty :)
http://video.thedieselgarage.com/Player.aspx?fileid=11098044-3A7F-46E7-9751-9B994D9BA8BC

SDEric

Here's my pride!
Reaction score
If you do a lift I might suggest a cowl for under the bumper. In all seriousness, I have noticed that since my entire axle is exposed I have dropped a mile or two. I am looking at a bumper, skid plate or a cowl to redirect the airflow under my truck, as well as my agreement with larger ex and intake
Good luck

tgatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2 x 4 block of wood bolted to the firewall behind the go pedal should help. :roflmao

The HP mods talked about here will help IF you can keep from using all that power. It becomes so tempting. I can say that my MPG has not gone down, even though I like to leave lights quickly a lot. If I behaved I know my mileage would be better.

Here is a hint though: If you are doing this for mileage, forget it. Figure a tuner with custom tune is at least $450. Say you can 2 MPG, that's an additional 60 miles on 30 gallon. Say you were getting 16 mpg, you would use 62.5 Gallons in 1,000 miles. You would use 55.5 if you were getting 18mpg after the "enhancement". So you save abou $18 per 1,000 miles. In 25,000 miles you break even. I guess you could always tell SWMBO (She Who Must Be Obeyed), "Honey it's getting 2MPG better". Just hope she doesn't sit down and do the math :roflmao

Get it for the enjoyment factor. If you get the mileage :sweet , if not you will definitely have more GPAU's (Grins Per Accelerator Use) :D

janders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would I be able to get away "safely" with installing the walker BTM and then a chip?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14