Muffler or no muffler

RON.B54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering how beneficial it would be to remove the stock muffler and if it would be extremely to loud. I have been told that I may have a bit of turbo lag because of the lack of back pressure, is this true and the noise is not going to bother me. The stock muffler is starting to show signs plugging up and I don't have the money to replace the exhaust or the muffler at this time so I am looking for an easy out. :dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
take the muffler out and put in a piece of straight pipe. not very much difference in the cab (if any at all) and it is noticeably louder outside but not overbearing.

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about NM law, but on our side of the border, the turbo is a "muffler" so you can get away with straight pipe and still be perfectly legal. something to check for, anyways..

DOC-MX

FOREIGN MEMBER
Reaction score
Hi all. I was wondering how beneficial it would be to remove the stock muffler and if it would be extremely to loud. I have been told that I may have a bit of turbo lag because of the lack of back pressure, is this true and the noise is not going to bother me. The stock muffler is starting to show signs plugging up and I don't have the money to replace the exhaust or the muffler at this time so I am looking for an easy out. :dunno

Thats NOT TRUE. so as said above, straigth pipe it or repleace it.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
There has been a rumor going around for some years, that a turbocharger NEEDS back pressure to work properly. NOT TRUE! A turbo does not need back pressure. The less obstruction that the air has to flow, the better it will flow (free-er). Than helps the turbo work better.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There has been a rumor going around for some years, that a turbocharger NEEDS back pressure to work properly. NOT TRUE! A turbo does not need back pressure. The less obstruction that the air has to flow, the better it will flow (free-er). Than helps the turbo work better.

Dave

Pressures effecting a turbo ? Maybe yes, Maybe no ?

Harmonics, created by audio spikes ? Which disturb laminar air flow ?

At some point.. Yes.

Headers, Free flow mufflers/resonators (audio spikes), Tuned exhaust systems.. Hmmmm ?

Do we need to be concerned ? Probably.. at some point.

Just a point to ponder guys. :dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

Pressures effecting a turbo ? Maybe yes, Maybe no ?

Harmonics, created by audio spikes ? Which disturb laminar air flow ?

At some point.. Probably Yes.

Headers, Free flow mufflers/resonators (audio spike reduction), Tuned exhaust systems.. Hmmmm ?

Do we need to be concerned ? Probably.. at some point.

Just a point to ponder guys. ;):)

not6.0

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I actually justed swapped my straight pipe which came on my truck for my buddies stock muffler today. A noticable improvement in low end & just all around smoothness. The straight pipe was very sloppy feeling @ low rpm. I would definately recommend investing in a nice aftermarket exhaust system if anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58