My cold 6.0...........

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
Diesel engines are heat engines. They require heat to run and they don't like to be cold. They make a lot of noise when they are cold. Let it warm up before driving or drive carefully before pouring the coals to it. This is a characteristic of diesel engines.

Dave

I've had 6 diesel trucks. None have sounded this bad. Hell our 160LC Excavator started and ran smooth this am with 1/2 the noise!! Something is definately wrong as much racket as this thing makes.......

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
mjstef said:
I've had 6 diesel trucks. None have sounded this bad. Hell our 160LC Excavator started and ran smooth this am with 1/2 the noise!! Something is definately wrong as much racket as this thing makes.......

:rant :rant :rant :rant :rant

BubbaNtx

BubbaNtx
Reaction score
Hello Just want to give you my 2 cents it sounds to me Like you got a couple weak Injectors, once it warms Up does it smooth out? if so got an injector or oil Plroblem what Oil are you Running Scott

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
BubbaNtx said:
Hello Just want to give you my 2 cents it sounds to me Like you got a couple weak Injectors, once it warms Up does it smooth out? if so got an injector or oil Plroblem what Oil are you Running Scott

The original c95 injectors (may built engine) were replaced at 70K miles as the fuel pump went out and screwed em up. I would hope they weren't bad already. The oil is Schaeffers 9000 synthetic.......................

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man I'd be curious to see if all the appropriate temperature and airflow sensors are working the way they should be... I can't think of a reason it would be chugging that much cmoke out for that long. I assume the brand of fuel makes no difference, or additives?

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you using an additive in your diesel fuel? Maybe it's gelling up in the cold and the injector is being starved of fuel?

Are you plugging in the block heater?

mjstef

Big Sky Country.........
Reaction score
NASCAR Mike said:
Are you using an additive in your diesel fuel? Maybe it's gelling up in the cold and the injector is being starved of fuel?

Are you plugging in the block heater?

Using premium fuel AND additive. Also plugging it in but it needs at least 4 hours plugged in to do any good. None of my 7.3's ever had to be plugged in till at least -10* and my 2000 started after 16 hours in the woods at -25* without this much racket and smoke. BTW, The glow plugs all check out good too. The 6.0 just don't like cold weather.................

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said now it's starting rough at warmer temperatures, correct? It's one of two things: Either something is coming apart, or you have a sensor going bad. It would be interesting to see what the sensors are reading if you could plug it into a scanner. It seems weird that no one else is chiming in with a "me too" response.

My truck was out when we had some very windy cold temps, about -20 -25 for 3 days... It took forever for the glow plugs to go out, and it made the worst sound I've ever heard a motor make as soon as it fired up, black smoke came out the pipe, and it leveled out in about 10 seconds, minimal if any smoke. I had 15 weight oil in it too.

You said you have an SCT programmer?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14