My last truck was a 6.9er

h2odrx

FORD Kid!!!
Reaction score
i've just got my first diesel an 1987 F250 2wd XLT Larait Extra Cab LB, C-6 3spd, 290k miles, the PO said rebuilt tranny a year ago, new heads, new injectors, new gr's, new alt, new volt reg, new starter, new gp controller, all that for $1500! it fires right up with a simple wts then turn the key and she quickly comes to life, now extra smoke, no blow by, to new to know how much oil it is going to use? I love it but i know when i can i'm going to get a crew somewhat newer?:thumbs

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
h2odrx said:
i've just got my first diesel an 1987 F250 2wd XLT Larait Extra Cab LB, C-6 3spd, 290k miles, the PO said rebuilt tranny a year ago, new heads, new injectors, new gr's, new alt, new volt reg, new starter, new gp controller, all that for $1500! it fires right up with a simple wts then turn the key and she quickly comes to life, now extra smoke, no blow by, to new to know how much oil it is going to use? I love it but i know when i can i'm going to get a crew somewhat newer?:thumbs

My Dad's 7.3IDI uses very little oil between changes, BTW, He has 295K on his now, bought used in '97 with 70K on it.

Dave

Cherokee

TONKA'S YOUNG! Grandma!
Reaction score
We currently have a 1985 F250 Reg cab, 4x4....
Her name is SNOT....because the guy we bought her from painted it snot green with cans of spray paint.
It is the work truck for our construction company. Only had 63,000 original miles. I think it may have about 75,000 on it now, probably not that many.

As soon as hubby is done working on the 97, he is gonna do something with Snot....she is loosing power and I don't think she could pull the 12,000lb trailer with the bobcat.

At least we still have all the good stuff we pulled off the 85 F350 with the same motor before we scraped it. That one had 330,000 miles on it and was still running. Took it in to have the motor pulled and all the gaskets and seals redone when we found out one of the pistons?? was in pieces and 5 of the rest were melted on the top. Don't know how that truck was still running, but it was. Man, I miss that truck....Big Red rest in peace.

northshore

Northshore
Reaction score

I bought a 1983 f-250 6.9 in '85, it had 13000 miles on it. I kept it for 19 LONG years. Ive never been so glad to sell a truck in my whole life. I kick my self every time I get into my 99 cause I didnt buy a newer truck years ago. It went through 3 injection pumps, not entirely the trucks fault.... more like a faulty dealer, a ring gear starter and of course clutch, 3ea slave cylinders for the clutch, head gaskets, lifters.... the list goes on and on .... the truck was pretty much gutless.... any moderate hill/mt would slow it to 35 mph when towing and it didnt matter if it was a fully loaded trailer or a empty flat bed....
Im glad its gone, and im driving a '99 psd

Last edited:

robertoh

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
:HI. Bought my 94 F250 Ex cab 7.3 IDI March 05.non stock buckets,cruise,Air,front/rear tow pkg,with 185 K kilometers onit,5th wheel to haul our 1998 24'Corsair,probably will spend more and add more stuff :sweet if the compression checks out this weekend.It seemed to be lacking in power when my better half and I went touring last summer, to catch some Trout and Kokanne:thumbs.Mounted aDovetail Selfloading boat loader :thumbs on her:sweet--- getting to old to muscle my 12'Princecraft alum. boat up there by brute force. We let 12 volt do the work now :DB.C.:canuk Robertoh

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are probably getting close to needing a new (or rebuilt) injector pump. It is not hard to change, but takes some time and patience and a few tools. You will need flare nut tools to loosen and tighten the flare nuts on the lines without messing them up. Get a good book. www.helminc.com has some of the best, but they are not cheap. Ebay is a good place to look.

Dave

robertoh

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
To all who responded 'bout compression on my '94:sweet IDI---did the check#1-470,2-470,3-415,4-460,5-470,6-460,7-460,8-470."cording to my local IDI guhru:hail,he said its just broke in:thumbs,but he would change IP and injectors and have the turbo checked also---so nothing to worry 'bout.It was a tough one:cussing: to get the two behind the turbo-but persistance pays off:).Thanx to all.BC:canukRobertoh

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Good Job!!! Looks like you have a great motor. I would do the pump first and have the injectors checked before you go and change them. Mine were working perfectly at 145,000 miles, so I did not change the injectors.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58