My new 4in Magnaflow Exhaust System

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed this past weekend a new 4 inch Magnaflow exhaust system. I contaced Magnaflow regarding what I wanted, and the service rep told me that I should have the exhaust installed by a professional and it was to difficult to install because of a tight fit of the down pipe. BS!

I was worried at first. I mean I have experience in the automotive industry. I built and race my 72' Nova drag car. But I was still unsure because I never really looked at the work area and I don't work on newer vehichles. I know now-a-days they try to pack everything in a tight compartment and you have to pull 10 things off a motor to change a PCV valve!

My recommendation is to have a good sawzall with about 4 steel cutting blades. Use the sawzall to cut all the hangers off the old pipe so it makes it easier to remove them from the rubber hangers and to cut the original down pipe in half. You also may need to cut the original exhaust in half near the muffler so you can pull out the pipe from under the truck. Also the original down-pipe was a bitch, because of the huge flange Ford put on it. I had to use a 2lb hammer and a 24" pry bar and I had to slam it past the back of the motor cause of the tight fit of the flange between the firewall and the motor. Don't worry no damage was done and I inspected everything with a mirror. It was tight enough where it was a nuisance and you couldnt pull it right through!

Next you may need a hand for some one to hold up the new 4in. down pipe so you can install the turbo clamp. The rest is all a piece of cake with clamps and everything slides together!

My Rating for installation ease:
For ages 12 and up (and your 4 year old brother to hold up the 4in down pipe)

The truck sounds great. The resonance isn't that bad, if anything it is bad ass for a young guy like me (25). I kinda wanted it louder! LOL The 5inch tip looks great, I couldn't be more happy.

Performance wise, I am unsure what it did for me, I never had it at the track or on the dyno or even on my G-Meter. I am sure it helped with the programmer and the K&N air filter kit or at least complimented it well. I would like to take it to the track and see what it does. I have pictures and video to post soon if not it will be on my website if I ever get a chance to update it! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Thanks everyone who emailed me with some info on their setbacks and how they did it!

Luke

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
a few days after my install the pipes "aligned" themselves to touch the bolt head at the tranny cross member. and made a weird noise at certian trhottle positions. took about a week to get everything settled. and yes mine was a very tight bear at the first piece of down pipe real close to the pinch weld.
glad it worked out. i like teh new exhuast sound.
vroomm

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl