My turbo has been sticking...

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
every once in a while. It either will stick closed (almost no boost) or open (too much boost). Then I usually shut it off and restart and it's OK. Sometimes it spools up a little slow, and then other times it is great. Anyhow been thinking about getting it fixed in the off season (now), and beginning to explore the options like OEM, bigger VGT, VGT replacement, and twins :sly .
I know some guys are just disassembling and cleaning them and they are OK, but I hear that Ford doesn't recommend it (of course:rolleyes: ).
I'm not looking for a tire smoking killer truck (like Bama :roflmao ), just a puller for dragging trailers through the countryside. If anyone has a little experience, fill me in. I have 220K on this turbo, and am actually amazed that it lasted this long as the engine destroyed itself 20K ago (camshaft failure).

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I'm not looking for a tire smoking killer truck (like Bama :roflmao )

i thought somebody was talkin about me, my ears were turnin red and hotter than a skillet.:tounge

sorry to hear that roy. my turbo was squeelin like a stuck pig and loosin oil out the seal. it died after 137,000 and some change.

i called and spoke to robert at elite diesel about their VGT-SS turbo. it has a custom wheel and some other mods. he said if your just gonna replace the stocker with theirs, you will not see much more improvement unless you do bigger ingectors.

thats all i have to say about that. cause that's all i know about this kinda stuff roy.

:thumbs

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My turbo was doing what you described, Ford replaced it no problem, all is well now......

Fine69

Reaction score
Ford has replaced my turbo 3 times, I just got it back last Thursday. Ford has changed their procedure now on changing out turbos. They now clean them first, then if you continue to have problems, they will replace them. I asked the service manager/nit-wit-in-charge about it, and he told me Ford was spending too much money replacing turbos, and this is the new procedure. So far my truck runs alright, we'll see in a couple months if it acts up again. I asked him what I was supposed to do after my warranty runs out, his response was, "if I was you, I would sell it before it runs out"!:eek: I'm currently looking into lemon law, since they can't seem to figure out why my truck keeps messing up turbos. May just be the perfect excuse to go buy an '08!

bigdiesel99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i do not have a 6.0 but i work on them often, and turbo problems are not uncommon and have similar symptoms decribed, there are a couple of things about the turbo that tuns me away first off it has alot of moving parts that increase failure rate second is that egt's are higher using the VGT if i was in your shoes i would look at ATS arora series and pick the turbo that fits your use, the 3000 would probally be the best option. For the most part the VGT turbo is not a bad part it just needs more attention by the owner, increased soot volume through it (chip, programmer, injectors, high load) will cause increased carbon build up on the vanes and also increased carbon build up in the CAT causing a clog in the sytem , also the amount of idling time is important, just my ecperience and not all turbos fail... this is just food for thought... Happy Wrenching:thumbs

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
codes

Here's what I got...

P0069 MAP Barometric Pressure correlation

P0478 Exhaust Pressure control Valve high

P0528 Fan speed sensor circuit no signal

P0603 KAM error

P1000 OBD test not complete

P2263 Turbocharger boost system performance

What do you think?

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I'm thinking the P0478 high pressure is from the turbo sticking closed, as the EGT's will soar (from the restriction).

bigdiesel99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it is difficult to trouble shoot anything with out experiencing it but i think that the MAP code, EBP code is directly related to the turbo malfunction, the fan speed signal not related and the KAM(keep alive memory) means the computer lost power at some time (battery disconnected) something along that line.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58