Mysterious Coolant Leak

JRJ04

Reaction score
Ok guys...truck is at the dealer now getting repaired, but I'm not sure what they're doing.

About 6 months ago, I had a oily/coolant substance dripping down the passenger side onto the frame rail. I thought it was coolant and as it turns out, the evaporator coil was bad and had to be replaced. No biggie, life goes on.

Yesterday, I noticed what I thought was the same substance coming out again, but this time it was dripping down onto the oil pan then to the ground. I just talked to the dealer and in addition to performing the TSB to replace the vaccum hoses (for that annoying buzzing sound that happens everytime you shut it off), there were also some bolts on/near the turbo that were the source of the coolant leak. Since when does the turbo have coolant flowing through it? Could it be EGR Cooler or Oil Cooler? Service Rep didn't mention either one specifically. I'll question them more tomorrow, but this was an eye-opener for me. :confused:

Anyone know what they could be talking about?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not up to where I wana be on these 6.7's yet Jourdan.. but whatever it ends up being.. be sure and post it up.

With 2 separate cooling systems on these engines.. not much.. would be a surprise.

On, or Near the turbo might not mean turbo cooling ? Might be just bolts.. in the Area of the turbo ??

:coffee

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
I hear ya Joe...the level of complexity on these 6.7s vs our old 7.3s is just overwhelming. My uncle had a fuel leak the other day and i diagnosed it without even looking at it...I don't have a clue on these. Hopefully this one is around as long as the ole 7.3 and we'll get to know them pretty well

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well...got her back today and here's what was on the ticket:

"CUST STATES TRUCK IS LEAKING OILY SUBSTANCE ONTO GROUND
AROUND CENTER OF ENGINE CK AND ADVISE
D4
VERIFIED CONCERN,FOUND OIL IN ENGINE VALLEY,PERF OIL LEAK
DETECTION TEST,FOUND TURBO OIL FEED QUICK DISCONNECT
FITTINGS LEAKING OIL,ALSO FOUND PRIMARY DEGAS BOTTLE
EMPTY,PRESS TEST COOLING SYS,FOUND COOLANT LEAKING DOWN
DRIVER SIDE OF BELLHOUSING,REMOVED UPPER AND LOWER INTAKE
FOR INSPECTION,FOUND TURBO COOLANT FEED QUICK DISCONNECT
LEAKING,ALSO FOUND TURBO OIL SUPPLY TUBE AND TURBO COOLANT
FEED TUBE GROOVED AT ENDS,RPL TURBO OIL AND COOLANT FEED
QUICK DISCONNECT FITTINGS,RPL TURBO OIL AND COOLANT FEED
TUBES,RETEST,ROADTEST,FOUND NO OTHER LEAKS AT THIS TIME.
FAIL PART-6A968,MILEAGE OUT-49295 "

The overflow tank being empty scares me...I can't believe I didn't think to check this!:innocent From what I understand, I not only have oil lines running to the turbo (which make sense), there are also coolant lines running there as well. I cant believe oil was in the valley and it never leaked on the ground. I definitley had seen it around the pan, but it never made it to the ground and its not exactly easy to see under all that.

Also had the buzzing noise fixed per the TSB. Looked like they also replaced the solenoid AND the vaccum lines.

CUST STATES ENGINE MAKES A BUZZING NOISE AFTER SHUT OFF MOST
OF THE TIME. HAPPENS MORE IF WEATHER IS WARM CK AND ADVISE
V3
VERIFIED CONCERN,FOUND BUZZING NOISE COMING FROM WASTEGATE
CONTROL SOLENOID AS DESCRIBED IN TSB 13-10-7,DISCONNECTED
VACUUM LINES FROM WASTEGATE CONTROL SOLENOID WHILE NOISE
PRESENT,NOISE WENT AWAY,RPL WASTEGATE CONTROL SOLENOID
VACUUM HARNESS PER TSB,RETEST,ROADTEST,WORKING TO FACT SPEC
AT THIS TIME.
FAIL PART-9D430

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW !!

Lots to learn and familiarize myself about.

Spent another good hour + this AM.. just looking around, over and under this 6.7 and it's running gear.. Again.

MAN am I glad I got the Premo Extended Warranty !! ;):D

And I rededicated myself to NOT violate it in any way.

Looks like NASA project/program.. around, over and under there. :dizzy

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I felt the same way when I got my '04. It all was new to me and I had no idea of how or why it all worked. I looked at the motor at the dealer and closed the hood. Each year the trucks get more complex and more complicated. Now my '04 seems simple compared to your '12.

Dave :dunno

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58