mystery oil smoke

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know its been a while since I've been around but this new hotness is driving me for some suggestions.

I've had some oil seepage from somewhere at the back of the engine for most of the time I've had the truck. It flows down around the bell housing. It's not enough to drip into the driveway, it just has coated the bell housing and some of the back passenger side of the engine.

Today, the temp dropped to the 30's and I went to the store and could smell the oil burning. I didn't check it, just walked away but when I stopped at the coffee shop I smelled it again. When I got home, I popped the hood and saw the smoke coming up from under the pipe clamp on the turbo from the downpipe. I cut the engine and 5 minutes later restarted it and there was no smoke. Without getting dirty, I didn't see any signs of oil looking down at the top of the engine. Nothing appears to be coming out of the turbo or that area.

I've already spent an hour looking at other posts so I've got some ideas but I don't know the definitions of some of the terms used to describe parts or locations.:sorry My though process is that this is probably independent of the original seepage since this hasn't happened before. The downpipe was changed a year ago so I wouldn't blame that first.

I'll check it again when I get to work. I may have been some phantom leak that wont show itself again. Who knows?

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got under there with a flashlight and it seems that I have the leak from the bedplate. It starts at the front, runs down to the oil pan then follows that back to the transmission. I'm not sure that this has anything to do with the burning oil today. Maybe the cold weather caused it to put out more than usual. But then, what is causing it to burn and why is the smoke coming up behind the turbo?

P.S. I don't have money to fix the leak. Lets hope it doesn't get worse.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14