Myth or Truth????

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I have always heard that when welding on a vehicle you should unhook the battery or you MIGHT will fry the computer? I have welded with the batts. hooked up and nothin. I have never heard on ANY first hand expiriences of this

What do you think?

Neal

Reaction score
you might weld on it a hundred times and nothin happens. however it gets real expensive that one time it happens. on our heavy equipment we unhook all computer systems before welding. doesnt take much time to unhook it i just like to be safe.

atk

Reaction score
i have welded on many types of vehicles, bikes, atv`s and snowmobile. everytime i unhook the batteries because you never know. it doesn`t take that long to disconnect the batts. hard to explain to customer, why their puter is fryed....just my opinion....

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I agree you prob need to unhook them and the computer, we did this as a normal practice in the body shop I worked in. It keeps from messing up the computer programing this is just the rules we followed. F.Y.I.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i always disconnect the batteries before welding on any vehicle.you can take out the PCM,alternator and radio system.

COMPOSER

COMPOSER
Reaction score
It is the right and proper thing to do. However, we all have at times, done a fast job and not disconected the batteries. So far, I am lucky. Will I continue to take a chance? Probably not......

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
i agree i unhook them as well, but have never seen first hand of this happening, but i wll prolly keep bein safe though

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg