Nasty Fuel Filter

Reaction score
Was going to post this in the 97 section - but then thought maybe others have run across this.

Anyway - picked up a 97 F350 that's for my company. Got around to changing the oil and fuel filters today. When I pulled the fuel filter - it was black as coal. Felt it - feels like oil to me. The fuel in the bowl looked fine though. It's been taking a while cranking on first start. I attributed this to: A) I don't know how long it's been sitting before I got it B) Don't know how long the fuel has been in it C) AutoEnginenuity already told me it needed a new CPS. It also says the glow plug system is okay.

Soooo - thoughts about the fuel filter being covered in oil film? I can take pictures if needed.
Not a lot of smoke on start up - maybe for a minute at the most and not lot at that.
I did drain out the front tank and filled it with fresh fuel today - after I found this.

Ron

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my fuel filter in my 01 and it was exactly the same. Any input from the veterans around here?

Reaction score
jopes said:
I just changed my fuel filter in my 01 and it was exactly the same. Any input from the veterans around here?

How many miles did you have on yours? It's unknown on this truck - but I've changed a lot of filters and never saw one like this. Then again I change them out at the most every 10K

Ron

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
unknown, I purchased it with 61k on it then changed the filters out on it. Carfax said it had been in for service at all of the millage intervals it was supposed to be at. So I have no idea as what was done previously. :(

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Did it look like this................???

Tbar

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58