Navigation/Radio,etc - I'm confused ??????????

dag

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Since I have to go aftermarket for a navigation system, and have done a lot of research, my options for a built-in system seem to fall into either of two situations:
Single DIN size that has some kind of zoom-out and flip up screen
or
Double DIN size that fits flush with the dash
It appears that the space taken up by the factory radios (05 Excursion) is
too large to be a single DIN and too small to be a double DIN
I would like some input on the following:
If I choose a single DIN size, how do I fill the rest of the "hole"?
If I choose a double DIN, will it even fit? (Note: without the use of hammers and chainsaws)
I must have a great nav system and should also have AM/FM and CDs while the nav is in operation
I have no intention to add amps, speakers etc. at this time
I also have a Garmin Streetpilot in another vehicle-OK for what it is, but I don't want to go that direction.
Any thoughts, photographs or direction to qualified superstar installer would be greatly appreciated - Thanks for your input

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They make filler boxes or trays that do take up the extra space from a single DIN to our truck's DIN 1½ or whatever it is.

Dave

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you convinced you need built in navigation ?

How about a standalone Nav system like the Garmin 2720
www.thegpsstore.com/Detail-Garmin-StreetPilot-2720-GPS-Automotive-Navigator.asp
for your navigation (portable can go car to car) and a radio that does not have to contend with the nav part ????

just my $.000002, but combo devices have always given me the impression that they lose a little bit trying to do too many things :)

Last edited:

dag

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JBT
I already have on of these in another vehicle
Storage capacity for maps is marginal - always have to load new maps when we take a trip - permanent base mount (glued on dash) is too weak and shakes like h___ - not to mention hardwire through dash and wires hanging - is really hard to remove from permanent mount
best mount is the beanbag (supplied) - don't make violent moves
also don't like it sitting in temptationville when I leave vehicle
Thanks for the reply

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understand....

I've never had a problem with map sizes - guess I don't travel enough :) or go the same places each time :)

I too use the beanbag and usually do pull it down onto the floor board when steping outta the truck...

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i have a garmin IQ 3200 PDA/gps, it works very well and does not shake going down the road, added a 64mb memory card and it holds all the maps i need to go across country, I will say its pretty durable I have dropped it from a height that knocked out the memory stick, and it keeps on going.
however its getting replaced by my laptop with I guidance software,

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...01&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=161625

http://www.inavcorp.com/products/iguidance21.html

if any one has a report on the i guidance i would like to know if it performs as well as advertised

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerboatr said:
i have a garmin IQ 3200 PDA/gps, it works very well and does not shake going down the road, added a 64mb memory card and it holds all the maps i need to go across country,

I have the Garmin Ique 3600, and I had to put a 256 in it to hold all the detail maps for the areas I wanted. You need a 1-gig or larger card to hold the entire US detail maps.

A double-DIN unit *will* fit in our trucks, but you need to trim a little of the dash opening. Nothing major.

I have a single DIN with the "filler" kit. Gives me a small pocket thats about useless for anything.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
I have the Garmin Ique 3600, and I had to put a 256 in it to hold all the detail maps for the areas I wanted. You need a 1-gig or larger card to hold the entire US detail maps.

A double-DIN unit *will* fit in our trucks, but you need to trim a little of the dash opening. Nothing major.

I have a single DIN with the "filler" kit. Gives me a small pocket thats about useless for anything.

I didnt define country sorry
I meant the south united states and the territories of alabama , Miss, La and of course the one and only Texas:D :D :D :D

the software for the computer covers bridge heights, re-routes , roads I wish not to traverse
my biggest issue with the garmin is the lack of simple things like updating maps online, or point and draw to get distance. and the garmin wil route you SHORTEST distance which may not be the shortest TIME
it really likes highways with redlights

Saftman

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Powerboater,
Does the inav list more roads than the Microsoft Streets & Trips? I am currently using that w/my laptop. I used to work with a guy that had access to the tracking system that a local ambulance used and it was awesome. It showed every back road, gravel driveway, etc. My problem with the GPS units on the market are the price is too high for me and the display screens are too small. :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58