nearly stranded

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I went to start my truck after work, and it hardly started. It came up to idle real slow, and had a miss. I shut it off and re started. Same thing! I tried moving it and it had zero power. I called a buddy to bring the scan tool. It showed no codes, unlike when the FICM was bad it wouldn’t even connect. We started it again and it was a little better. This time we were able to go for a spin around the block. No smoke. After we took it down the street it cleared right up. It was low on fuel, and by the time we got to the station it was running fine. Any thoughts? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am supposed to drive halfway across the state tomorrow. Do I dare trust her?

Thanks…. MrZiggy :dunno

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda sounds like a head gasket issue to begin with. Not too sure how these 6.0s act compared to the 7.3s. I would deffinately be looking at some kind of seal issue because things usually seal up and get better after they warm up. And no, I wouln't trust it if I even suspected a gasket being an issue. You never know when it will blow out bad enough that it will really leave you stranded on the road. Best get it fixed while you can still get it to a shop w/out a tow truck.

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Sounds like a HPOP or HPOP connector leaking to me, but it would have a code if that was the case.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how cold was it outside ? fuel gelled? how low on fuel?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It also could have been water in your lines. Water freezes...run your truck a little bit and clear it clears up and everything is fine. But I thought the fuel system in the 6.0s was designed to shut off before water, or anything that could damage the injectors, could get to the injectors.

Also, since your tank was low you could be sucking in some trash.

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Not cold enough up here for fuel to gel anymore. Where in WI are you? Also, which scan tool did you use to check the codes?

nascar_fan28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well this kinda sounds like a past experience i had. i was real low on fuel, and truck barely started, so i filled it and it was fine, ive done this twice, so i think you keep the thing full of fuel and dont run it empty youll be fine. im never running it low again..

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
starting fine

I started it up yesterday and it was fine. I had added fuel and Power Servis just before I got it home after last nights troubles. It was low enough that the fuel light was on. I put on about 150 miles with out the slightest miss. To answer Roy Boy: by Lacrosse. Would a sticky EGR cause anything like this?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm think'n you were just simply Low on fuel and started to loose prime. The trip around the block, and then to the station.. sloshed enough fuel around the pick-up foot.. to git it re-primed..... just enough to you there.

All is well now.. Keep on truck'n

Joe

mrziggy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
runnin good now

She seems to be runnin fine now. The next oil change is coming up in a few K I figure on sending a sample to blackstone to make sure there isn't anything odd that way, but at this point I am thinking Big Joe is right with the whole low fuel thing. Thanks to all for the help.:notworthy

mr Ziggy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl