Need a little help here

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I have a buddy with a 2002 SD 7.3 He is wanting to add a tuner to it and wanted to know my suggestions on it. I am pretty up on the 6.0 stuff but not so much on the 7.3. I told him I would come to the one place that I know would give me an answer. I am pretty sure that a DP tuner (after reading other threads on here) is the way to go. There is one small problem though that we need to figure out.
The tranny and the converter in the truck has been beefed up pretty good by Atlantic Coast Converters In Conway SC. they are wizards with all things transmission can converter. The last time he was towing his trailer (32 foot N'Tense toy hauler) t
Here is the problem that we need to fix whether its with a programmer or another way: While towing on flat land with OD on, it towed fine. As a hill came and he wanted to take it out of OD he would push the button and it would start to coast rather than go down a gear. Same thing would happen if he came to a down hill and wanted to downshift manually.
Seems to me the converter is not staying locked up when he presses the OD button.
I know this is long but suggestions please.

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't say if it will coast when the OD is taken off when NOT towing, does it??? If it does I would take it BACK to Atlantic Coast Converters and get them to FIX the OD. I wouldn't think a programer would FIX the problem you guys have. But, I may be wrong...

dpantazis

Reaction score
red monkey is right, the program won't fix a problem.

i will caution you though, consult with the programmer regarding the tunes you want. they do control the TC lockup and shift points. if the ACC unit is 'special' it may not play well with the tunes right out of the box. YMMV

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it is the tranny with that has the problem, at least not a hard part. I think it has something to do with a computer controlled portion of the tranny. To me it seems like the converter is not staying locked up. I actually was never in the truck when it happened.
We are planning to get some custom tunes for it DP, just want to try and figure out the tranny issue first.
any more suggestions or input would be appreciated guys, Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58