Need a winch, suggestions?

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SGT,
If there is an 'off road 4x4' store close to your location stop by and talk to them about your needs. they will be able to show you a snatch block as well as a tree saver strap.
Check out this link to get some tips on safe winching:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

You may want to check with some of the guys in the motorpool or who ever does vehicle recovery for your unit. they may be able to steer you in the right direction.

jopes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would only buy a warn. 12k would be the min size winch for a 7k+ rig. 12k warn winch needs to be mounted feet forward other wise the winch can self destruct when winching.

mile markers are definatly cheaper, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

groundhawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To get double pull with a snatch block, you have to go from the winch out to the block, and then hook back to your vehicle. This effectivly doubles the pull strength, but also cuts the pull speed in half.

More often than not a snatch block is used just for changing direction of the pull. In that case, the line speed and pull strength remain the same, it's just allowing you to get a better line on your pull.

Feet forward is meaning the mounting position. Most of the smaller sized winches mount feet down...as in bolted on top of a flat bumper or plate. This is the most commonly seen mount.

In feet forward position, the winch is mounted to a plate that is actually between it and the pull. This is used more on the larger winches, simply because there is so much more power there that you might start breaking the mounting feet of the winch. This way, instead of pulling up on the rear feet, it is compressing all of the feet equally against the mounting surface...basically pushing the winch into the mounting plate.

One other thing to remember is that although the winch is rated at a certian capacity...lets say 12,000lbs...it is only going to PULL that when it is on the first wrap of cable. When you get more of the cable spooled up on the drum, you start cutting the actual pull capabillity down.

And yes...it can be VERY expensive to get into a good winch set-up. But, if you get a quality unit, it should last a very long time.

Fx4ord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warn has a good Marketing campaign they do. And they have a good winch but do not discount the Milemarker winch. Our military use them so they must be a pretty good product. But if money was not an issue I would look at the Warn 16.5ti. Or the power pack with the built in air compresor. I think it only comes in 12k though. I will be looking into this a little more in the near future when I get mine. I will look at the Milemarker and the Warn heavily. Good luck in your choices and post some pics when you decide on it.

Be Safe,

tpicou96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Dont forget to get a cable weight.Something to lay on the cable in case it breaks.A snapped cable can not only cause extensive damage to your truck,it can also KILL someone standing to close.SAFETY FIRST.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is just a weight that rides on a pulley that uses gravity to pull the rest of the cable to the ground in case of a failure? Or does it mount with a clamp?
Jesse

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you given thought to front recv'r hitch ? and a "portable" mount
for the winch ? (ive seen front recv'r for 150 bucks that work w/ the OE
bumper)

Mobeydick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got Warn winches on my trucks 16.5ti Mounted in the front bumper. Winches are for pulling other trucks out with. Having one to pull yourself out with is almost not practicable!! Where would you store it when not off-roading and the 16.5 weighs 100lbs or more? That’s not something you put behind the seat!

tpicou96

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It is just a weight that rides on a pulley that uses gravity to pull the rest of the cable to the ground in case of a failure? Or does it mount with a clamp?
Jesse

the weight can be anything that you can drape over the cable to make it fall to the ground in case it snaps.check with the place you by the winch,they should be able to show you what the winch companys offer.the ones i have seen look like saddle bag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14