Question Need help choosing new differential

snakyjake

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The goal is to maximize traction in certain scenarios, while at the same time not sacrifice performance on pavement.

Scenarios:
  • Most of the time I'm on pavement.
  • More traction when hauling my boat off a slick ramp.
  • More traction in snow...while also turning on snowy roads.
  • Differentiate when turning corners.
  • I'm not an extreme off-roader, but occasional venture on logging roads.
  • Ideally I want something that gives all wheels the traction, differentiate around corners while still providing power to both wheels, and do this automatically.
Limited slip has proved to be worthless because typically when I lose traction, there's no friction to engage the LS clutches.

What are my other options? I hear automatic lockers, air locker, electric lockers, spools, worms, fancy slip, etc.

With a manually selectable locker, I imagine myself in snow engaging the locker, then turning it off when a corner comes up, hoping I don't get stuck on a corner, then re-engaging. The more corners on the road, a lot of button pushing. And it doesn't seem to help me out in slick corners when I might need the traction to get through a curve.

With an auto locker, I imagine lots of pops and bangs. I imagine being locked in the snow, coming up on a corner, and the auto locker not disengaging to get around the corner safely. Or I have to slow down to disengage the auto locker, and then end up getting stuck trying to get around a corner.

I then hear about some other fancy types of lockers. Something that sounded like an auto locker with a clutch system. Not sure what it is, or what it does.

What are the options? Disadvantages? Advantages? What works best for what scenarios?

Thanks,

Jake
2000 F250 4x4

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The goal is to maximize traction in certain scenarios, while at the same time not sacrifice performance on pavement.
[*]More traction in snow...while also turning on snowy roads.
[*]Differentiate when turning corners.

can't be done. laws of physics do not support it.
you're forcing two tires to turn at different RPM
one of them is going to slip.
the other will not have the traction & stability to hold the truck to the pavement on it's own.

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for all of the off road and or high slip situations a selectable front locker would be a great benefit and would also be able to be used on the road when going in a straight line such as a boat ramp but would severely hinder your steering abilities on dry pavement not to mention accellerate wear on steering components.

There are better limited slip units out there than the ones that are used from the factory. for example the detroit truetrac claims to send some power to both wheels regardless of traction to either wheel. The ideal answer for you is the auburn ECTED but they do not make them for the Sterling 10.25/10.5 axles :( it is an LSD with a electronic lockup feature.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best all around setup is the limited slip. That coupled with a driving style that suits the situation will cure your problem. I know no one wants to hear their driving is to blame but it is. Just hear me out on this. My brothers got a hill in his backyard that he can never make it up unless his truck is in 4x4, where I can easily make it up in 2wd without spinning the tires.

Finally the other day he drove my truck out of it and I told him not to use the 4x4 and he was throwing mud rocks and leaves 30 feet behind him. I asked him why the heck he was spinning the tires so bad and his response was he had no idea they were even spinning.

THROTTLE CONTROL is the answer.

To me lockers give you a false sense of security. They make it that much harder to get unstuck when you get stuck

Last edited:

snakyjake

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
can't be done. laws of physics do not support it.
you're forcing two tires to turn at different RPM
one of them is going to slip.
the other will not have the traction & stability to hold the truck to the pavement on it's own.

What I'm hoping for going around turns is for both wheels receive power, but one wheel getting more power than the other (differentiating, different RPM). On an open diff, only one will get power. On a locker, both get equal power. I want one wheel to get 75% power, and the other to get 25% (for example). But, I'm willing to sacrifice turn traction for on-road driveability. If I get stuck on a turn, I can always stop, straighten out, lock, and go.

silverF250 said:
best all around setup is the limited slip.

The problem I have with LS is that it doesn't seem to work too well when there's zero traction on one tire. Apparently the LS still need some grip. LS works well in mud, gravel, pavement, but not so well in snow/ice.

silverF250 said:
THROTTLE CONTROL is the answer.

I agree that throttle control is important. In my case, I'm not using a lot of throttle. When I'm in the snow, it is real easy to get the tires to spin, therefore I don't use a lot of throttle. It also seems that with a LS, you have to use a lot of throttle to get the traction wheel to start spinning...which creates the problem of over spinning the tire.

Watch some of the YouTube videos on LS and you'll see what kind of problems I'm having. I've heard GM has a "G-80" auto locker that looks good in the YouTube videos. However, I'm not sure how it performs around corners, and if it is a true locker, or a type of LS.

BJS said:
There are better limited slip units out there than the ones that are used from the factory. for example the detroit truetrac claims to send some power to both wheels regardless of traction to either wheel.

I've heard about Detroit TrueTrac. It's a limited slip, but doesn't use clutches. Other than no clutches to wear out, I'm not sure if it offers other advantages.

Thank for the input,

Jake

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that throttle control is important. In my case, I'm not using a lot of throttle. When I'm in the snow, it is real easy to get the tires to spin, therefore I don't use a lot of throttle. It also seems that with a LS, you have to use a lot of throttle to get the traction wheel to start spinning...which creates the problem of over spinning the tire.

Watch some of the YouTube videos on LS and you'll see what kind of problems I'm having. I've heard GM has a "G-80" auto locker that looks good in the YouTube videos. However, I'm not sure how it performs around corners, and if it is a true locker, or a type of LS.

Thank for the input,

Jake

My brother isn't hard on the throttle either he thinks he's babying it, but he's not. His rpm for example never gets over a 1000 in his yard but he still spins like crazy. Feathering the throttle is the only true answer for your problem. My brother does that to but it's the timing in which you do it that is key. I rarely use the 4x4 in the 3 years I've had the truck I've used it the most getting hooked up to my Goose Neck then ever driving it. I've used it once in 16" of snow because I had to stop on a hill and had a truck behind me.

Add some weight and drive to the conditions. That's the best info I can give you, unless you just want to spend money. :sorry Then check the true trac or auburn ected maybe check into eaton and their e-locker.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
What I'm hoping for going around turns is for both wheels receive power, but one wheel getting more power than the other (differentiating, different RPM). On an open diff, only one will get power. On a locker, both get equal power. I want one wheel to get 75% power, and the other to get 25% (for example). But, I'm willing to sacrifice turn traction for on-road driveability. If I get stuck on a turn, I can always stop, straighten out, lock, and go.

Jake

no, both wheels receive power, that's why one spins..
you can't pick your power ratio.
to do so would require a feature these trucks don't have, traction on demand.
if you're looking for straight line traction, a locker (spring, air, electric or otherwise) is the answer...

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
I had a Detroit Tru Trac installed a couple years ago and have been happy with it. The clutches in my factory LS were so worn out it didnt work. The Tru Trac is reliable and works when i need it. It is so smooth you cant hear it ingage and disengage like you feared.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58