NEED HELP: engine acting up

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes it is. Remove the EGR valve and clean it with a small brush and some carb cleaner. BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET THE CARB CLEANER IN THE MOTOR that is attached to the valve!!. There are a few threads here on this. Do a search on "EGR Cleaning". Bushpilot is our expert (just ask him) on this.

Dave

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im no expert...just done it a couple of times on my own & ive read
as much as i can about it....im just here to help...where i can

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

over the past few days I have been checking the resevoir and it is slowly losing coolant. i would say about 1/4" ever 3 days in the resevoir. I know some of it is overflowing through the cap, but I am not sure if I am just filling it too high or something is causing it to get really hot.

I have also been noticing that when I warm up in the mornings there is a good amount of white/grey smoke coming from the exhaust. Since it happened this morning when it was not cold, I am pretty sure it is not just condensation. The smoke also has a strong odor to it.

I have not had a chance to check the EGR valve, but am going to try tonight or tomorrow. I am also wondering how many of these issues could be caused by a clogged air filter?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would NOT expect an air filter be at issue...if anything that would
make the mixture RICH (causeing BLACK smoke).

do NOT fill the degas bottle above the minimum mark, if you fill
to the "full" mark it will be pushed out the cap.
FDDTS - Recall In Review - 05B32

does the exhaust smell SWEET ? i would expect if its coolant
that the "steam" (white smoke) would be present ALL the time
not just in the morning at start up but also in the afternoon
(its gonna be 70 here today...try it at lunch and see)

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously bush, where do you get all these links. They are truely helpful but how you find this stuff. hahaha.

Anyways, after reading that link I am pretty sure that some of my fluid loss over the past few days was from overfilling then being pushed out the cap while driving. Should I try to drain some of the coolent out to reach the min level, or just let it leak out or expulse it on its own?

The white smoke is not sweet smelling. It has a very strong bite to it, and can irritate the eyes very easily. i tried to record it this morning but the video only has sound for some reason.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Fill overflow tank to minimum and you shouldn't have a problem.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is what i plan to do from now on. The problem with filling it up is that you can not see throught the plastic of my degas. It is a dark yellow color and not very transparent, so I can not really see what level the fluid is at.

bigdogdiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ndsuperduty just woundering if you got anywhere on the diag of this problem, i see alot of these problems at the dealership and repair them on rutine basis, i unfortunatly or fortunatlly however you want to look at it work on them for a living and had a simalure thing happen to my '06 6.0 but it was only the egr cooler no big deal to repair.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg