need help my turbo is blowing out oil

liv2sled

2003 f-350
Reaction score
I dont no if my turbo is on its way out or if it can be fixed. It all started when i blew a hole in one of the blue rubber hoses that connects the intercooler pipe to the turbo. Whwn i whent to fix the hose i notest there was oil coming out of the hole and there was oil all over the side of the turbo. I asked a cupple of people about it and they say that the oil seals inside the turbo are going. I dont no if i should get the turbo re-built or buy a used one?:dunno

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless its a lot as in a stream of oil, some oil like a film is normal, but if it is dripping that is not good.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont no if my turbo is on its way out or if it can be fixed. It all started when i blew a hole in one of the blue rubber hoses that connects the intercooler pipe to the turbo. Whwn i whent to fix the hose i notest there was oil coming out of the hole and there was oil all over the side of the turbo. I asked a cupple of people about it and they say that the oil seals inside the turbo are going. I dont no if i should get the turbo re-built or buy a used one?:dunno

An 03 on your Avatar but is it a 7.3 or 6.0 ? Which boot blew ? Is there any oil in yer pre-turbo Intake horn ? Has it been using any oil ?

:dunno

liv2sled

2003 f-350
Reaction score
An 03 on your Avatar but is it a 7.3 or 6.0 ? Which boot blew ? Is there any oil in yer pre-turbo Intake horn ? Has it been using any oil ?

:dunno

Its a 6.0 um it was the boot that connects the turbo and the intercooler pipe, its attached to the horn that exits the gas's, and every time i take off the boot theres oil build up on the inside of the horn and a cupple of drops of oil sitting in the aluminum intercooler pipe and ya i have noticed its been eating oil off the dip stick.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you blow a boot off yul get a spray of oily vapor but if it's been using oil.. you've got a leak issue. Being a 6.0 and me being 7.3 guy.. I would defer this Post to the 6.0 guyz.

If I'da been pay'n attention to the Forum Topic..... I'da known that yers is a 6.0.. My Bad.:sorry

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 engines blow a little oil into the intercooler. Don't worry about it, unless it is a lot of oil. Clean the Blue Hoses very well before re-installing and that should keep you from blowing it again. Use Lacquer thinner.

Fill out your signature by going the the USER CP button above. This will help us help you.

Dave

liv2sled

2003 f-350
Reaction score
The 6.0 engines blow a little oil into the intercooler. Don't worry about it, unless it is a lot of oil. Clean the Blue Hoses very well before re-installing and that should keep you from blowing it again. Use Lacquer thinner.

Fill out your signature by going the the USER CP button above. This will help us help you.

Dave

thanks ya i really hope thats the case thers just a little bit of oily film build up inside the turbo, alright i will clean it out and slap a new boot on there and hope for the best.:)

TheBlacksmith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem but I also noticed that since the CCV is routed into the intake side of the turbo, a lot of oil saturated air is also going thru the turbo. I did the CCV mod, (filtered then recirculated) about 2500 miles back. I looked into the exhaust side of the turbo today and I don't have the collected oil that I used to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya