Need Help With Engine Mods

stachiestach

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just bought an 01 Super duty 7.3 Powerstroke with 39,000 miles on it. They guy did nothing to the engine and i wanted to start working on it. Unfortunately i have been told to do so many things, with everyone having different opinions. First i was told that running all banks was going to be the best, but then i heard from many people in other forums that banks is good, but there is better products out there. After that i was thinking of running the Edge juice w/ attitude, edge evolution, AFE stage 2 intake, and 4" exhaust. Now i have a buddy telling me that the edge products screw with the computers too much and they trigger off check engine lights all the time. Also do you guys think it is important to run exhaust first before all of this. If i could get some oppinions and info that would be great. Of course i will be adding some mods to beef up the tranny. I have heard more good things about edge than banks. Thanks for the help.
Steve

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Howdy Steve Welcome to SuperDutyDiesel,great to have you aboard! :thumbs
The upgrades you speak of are worthy in my book but will give you my take.

Upgrade the exhaust,intake(both Edge and SuperChips are worthy programmers) do install a full set of gauges if not first on the list to avoid setting off those Check Engine/Service Engine Soon indicators that some other owners have been getting.

If you have the automatic transmission do upgrade the valve body with either the Sonnax/Tricumulator Kit or the Factory Tech Valve Body,both are worthy upgrades with a $150 difference in price tags.

If you're going to be regular tower/daily drag racer get the gauges first otherwise go ahead and install the Exhaust/Intake systems. :sweet

Bill :cowboy:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Welcome Steve,

Bill gives good solid advice, guages, intake and exhaust followed by a chip and depending on how well you can control your right foot you may need some tranny mods. Banks is good stuff, but honestly, you can have the same stuff offered through other makers much cheaper. Look around and see what you want and come back and ask questions....we love spending other folks' money.

Mike

kwazyca

Sesquipedalian
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD!

An 01 with only 39,000 miles. What a great find.

As Bill said above gauges first. Then exhaust, intake, and a good chip. Banks has great quality but they are a little too proud (expensive) of their name for me.

Here are some options to get you started. I bounced all over the place to give you some variety shopping. :sweet

Gauges:

TS Performance

Exhaust:

Dieselsite

ITP Diesel

Chips:

DP Tuner (Highly Recommended :thumbs :D :cool: )

Research, Research, Research!!! Talk to people. I have dealt with most of the people in the links and they are all nice, knowledgeable, people who will patiently answer your questions. Most of them offer package deals if you have the money. :cowboy:

Hope this helps,

Tom

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
To make it easy Dennis at ITP has about anything for go fast but also check out SuperDutyDiesel's Advertisers for the latest on new products/deals :sweet

kenh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
39K? High mileage!!
My 01 has 37K :)
Sometimes you will set a DTC, like 1211, but nothing to worry about.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD Steve, a GREAT site. Lots of good knowledge and recommendations already.... my .02 would be: as you "surf" around SDD, take a look at the members signatures.... you can see what others have done, and what Mods might fit your needs & wants. LOTS of alternatives.

Again.... Welcome :)

JOE

Did anyone mention GAUGES ? As one of the FIRST things to do ? ;) :)

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Steve!

You've gotten great info from the other guys here! Gauges first, maybe second to an intake upgrade. That's what I did, but I didn't really want to know what my EGT's were before the intake really. If you decide on the Edge sytem for your gauges, you'll still need a tranny gauge I believe. I would do the intake before doing the J/A monitor.

I have had no problems with my Evolution. I opted for a chip for the shift on the fly, but still can't part with the Evo. :p The Edge sytem isn't totally shift-on-the-fly, the program you upload with the Evo stays the same. As far as SES lights, you'll need something to fool the MAP sensor into thinking it's not overboosting. Then you'll have to go back to the gauges and TRY not to let your right foot give it enough fuel to pass 25lbs of boost. :roflmao

Good luck with your decision! I remember when I was there.

stachiestach

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys thanks a ton for the information. Sorry for the delayed response but i have been really busy with work. I think i am goin to roll witht he edge J/A and the evolution, some kind of exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake, and of course a tranny temp gauge since the J/A has all the others.

Now for the exhaust: i have heard since i am going to be towing boats quite frequently that straight 4" custom exhaust might not be the best because i won't get enough back pressure. Do you guys think it would be more beneficial to run a different set up.
Thanks for all the help!
Steve

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I dont know what you've been told or who told it to you about the 4" exhaust but I run an open 5" (no cat or muffler) and I havent seen what I would call any negative effects from doing so, certainly not back pressure related and I tow a 10K trailer occassionally. EGT's are a dream with large exhaust.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14