Question Need help with intake,turbo fart

alex3012red

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 03' 6.0, I tried to install a afe cold air intake, and after the pain in the butt it is to install it, my truck started to act very weird, back pressure made more noise probably normal (aka big farts),when off the pedal. the problem ive notice is that around 2k to 3k rmp,it fails and smokes a little,like a misfire on a gas engine. anybody got a clue!

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like EGR it goofing up. Air flow isn't going to make black smoke, only unburnable gasses, or too much of them, hence EGR.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Wasn't the early 03's specifically prone to some EGR issues? I knew one Excursion owner that got about a mile off the dealer lot and had to be towed back for a failed EGR,brand new 6.0L :rant

alex3012red

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks Ill check on egr. for now i put my stock air filter on and it works great. It doesn't make sense to me, since it's just more air.But i'll replace the egr just to be on safe side, and sell my afe air filter.:dunno

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
With an aftermarket air intake system, you will experience some turbo farts, but to my knowledge it isn't anything harmful.

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
thanks Ill check on egr. for now i put my stock air filter on and it works great. It doesn't make sense to me, since it's just more air.But i'll replace the egr just to be on safe side, and sell my afe air filter.:dunno
My 03' did the same thing, Loud Farts when pedal lifted quickly. This evolved to farts on accereration(missing). When I finally got tired of it and brought into dealer they: changed ICP sensor, egr valve, reman.turbo,and reflashed to latest program. Soooo, I don't know what really fixed it, but, I now have NO farts at all, with or without aftermarket air intake. Your afe isn't the problem, the stock intake is just better at muffling the noise.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg