need help

ih1947kb3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just bought 01 with 162000 miles and keep finding little stuff thats not workin like the cruse, has power up to switch in wheel but wont kick on. turbo says garrett on it and wondered if that was factory or not because it might be junk by all the oil on the intercooler boots. power seat dosent work. any help or sudgestions would be great, im new to the site but not to diesels but im use to older tractor diesels not computer controlled like this. if i get these fixed ill be back with more questions and hope to have some more pics up to

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Garret is stock turbo. Put you some gauges on it and see what kind of boost its making. If its making anywhere around 25psi, I wouldn't mess with it. If its not making near that amount, check for boost leaks. If you dont want to buy gauges just yet you can take it to a mechanic shop that has a snap-on computer. Let them drive it and you ride. It will show what kind of boost you are making plus the barometric pressure (Mine was anyways). Good thing to do is to run a fuse checker over all of the fuses under the steering wheel and in the power distributor box under the hood. Cruise control...:doh:...ummm???...I think there's a sensor on the master cylinder that if bad, wont allow the cruise control to work.

What are you talking about "has power up to switch in wheel but wont kick on". Are you reffering to the 4x4??

ih1947kb3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
the on off rocker switch for cruise is broke so i checked the metal button that is spose to activate it and it shows 12 volts to it, and forgot to mention that it does have gauges in it alredy. only runs around 2- 5 psi at 2000 rpm down the hyway but if i get on it it gets up around 20, and i havent seen egts over 600 yet in my drives but i know theres a few little exaust leakes and possibly intake leaks also that im going to try and tackle this weekend

ih1947kb3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
also checked all fuses under dash and found a couple missing that i replaced but none blown, went off a 99 fuse box guide i found on web cuz i dont have book or anything but it looked right and thanks for the help so far, and p.s. i was worried bout turbo sense the intercooler boots look oil soaked and covered with dirt, figured id look into it more this weekend when i tear into the down pipe to finish someone elses weld job around the egt bung thats leaking

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also checked all fuses under dash and found a couple missing that i replaced but none blown, went off a 99 fuse box guide i found on web cuz i dont have book or anything but it looked right and thanks for the help so far, and p.s. i was worried bout turbo sense the intercooler boots look oil soaked and covered with dirt, figured id look into it more this weekend when i tear into the down pipe to finish someone elses weld job around the egt bung thats leaking

Thats about the same boost I see while going down the road. I've topped out about 28psi getting in it. I think oil residue is normal to find in those areas. I'm not too familiar with maintanence of intercoolers...but I think its just another one of the preventative maintanence issues with our trucks. 600 sounds low for a top egt number. I can hit 900 accelerating, but I guess if you don't have your foot in it anything is possible. Is the probe mounted pre-turbo or after?

Fill out you sig in the user control pannel so we dont address any issues thats already been handled and can help you out better.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

nah, that's your crankcase vent sucking fumes out of the valvecover..
Racor makes a nice oil separator to replace it..

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
I thought the 99.5+ 7.3's only produced 16-19 PSI? i only pushed 19 stock and 25+ with tunes. u runnin a chip?

Last edited:

ih1947kb3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
no chip that i know of, like i said just bought the truck and tryin to figure it out. and as for the egt probe it is mounted just about two or threee inches from the turbo in the down pipe so i think it would be acurite unless its not reaading right. I spose ill have to borrow the digital temp gun from work and see what it says its running. Ill make sure to let you guys know what i figure out this weekend after i get a chance to check stuff over a bit more and thanks for the input from everbody so far

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
youll find so much help on here its not even funny. great knowledgeable folks on here. Welcome to the forum bud.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
Don't forget to check the brake switch on the pedal as well, if the switch goes bad alot of times it will make the cruise think you're on the brakes. Fwiw. Good luck

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14