need help

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no chip that i know of, like i said just bought the truck and tryin to figure it out. and as for the egt probe it is mounted just about two or threee inches from the turbo in the down pipe so i think it would be acurite unless its not reaading right. I spose ill have to borrow the digital temp gun from work and see what it says its running. Ill make sure to let you guys know what i figure out this weekend after i get a chance to check stuff over a bit more and thanks for the input from everbody so far

Down pipe??? Aint that after the turbo? It should be located here:

http://inlinethumb48.webshots.com/43759/2597587100100112691S600x600Q85.jpg

Tried doing the "link" but it wouldnt pop up. But if it is mounted after the tubro you are not getting anywhere close to an axtaul reading. The picture shows the probe mounted just after the exhaust manifold. Thats where you will get the most accurate reading. And if you going to use the temp gun for where your exhaust exits...its going to be WAY off.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only runs around 2- 5 psi at 2000 rpm down the hyway but if i get on it it gets up around 20, and i havent seen egts over 600 yet

egt probe it is mounted just about two or threee inches from the turbo in the down pipe so i think it would be acurite unless its not reaading right.

AS for boost I think you can get closer to the 25 number if your wastegate is adjusted oddly or disconnected. The truck may not have a chip but have a programmer flash on it so there is no real easy way to tell other than reading codes, you should not have smoke when you stomp the fuel from a stand still in the stock configuration if the truck is warmed up... With gauges I would suspect that it has or has had some sort of power chip added.

As for the EGT probe the downpipe is a reasonably common (easy to install & not the preferred) location the problem is that you loose a tremendous amount of heat between the manifolds and the probe. The point of the EGT gauge is to as closely as possible estimate the cylinder temperatures to ensure that the Aluminum pistons do not melt or soften on you. I will suggest moving the probe, but until that happens I can say that your temp readings are in line with what I've seen people post with post-turbo probes and IIRC 6-700 is the max for post-turbo probes. Keep in mind that there is no constant heat loss between the manifolds & the turbo, it ranges from 50°-700° depending on conditions.

ih1947kb3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the help, tore in to it today and found the right side boot off the spyder loose so hopefully that will help my bost out a little bit when i get it back together. As for smoke when i get into it there is none which dissapoints me a little but i guess that means its stock. and as for the egt im gonna leave it for now just cause i dont plan on towing anything but when i have more time and a better place to work on it ill get that relocated.

ih1947kb3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I do have a couple more questions for everybody after workin on it today, theres what appeares to be a air temp switch just laying over buy where the original air intake would be, do i need to get that plumed in to the existing aftermarket air intake or is it not all that important? And i was also trying to pull out the down pipe so i could fix the egt bung, but just cant seem to get it down and out, do i have to pull the trans crossmember down or am i just not holding my tounge right? Also i noticed that this is a canadian made truck, does that make a diference when im looking for aftermarket parts or are they the same basic settup?

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have a couple more questions for everybody after workin on it today, theres what appeares to be a air temp switch just laying over buy where the original air intake would be, do i need to get that plumed in to the existing aftermarket air intake or is it not all that important? That is the air intake temp sensor and it does not need to be in the aftermarket intake, mine (and most guys on the site) is hanging out floating around on the fender
And i was also trying to pull out the down pipe so i could fix the egt bung, but just cant seem to get it down and out, do i have to pull the trans crossmember down or am i just not holding my tounge right? if you want to take it out in one piece then you need to pull the trans crossmember
Also i noticed that this is a canadian made truck, does that make a diference when im looking for aftermarket parts or are they the same basic settup? build location does not matter when you need to order parts the trucks sold in the US & canada are the same trucks save Daytime running lights & some have metric dominated gauge clusters.

ih1947kb3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
alright thanks for the info everybody. Got my new cheapo intake built thanks to menards being close buy so i could junk the one that was in the truck. only thing left for now is to get my new spyder boot clamps picked up on wednesday and get it put back together so i can drive it end of this week finally!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14