need some help

diezeltuner1

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im in the process of buying a new ford f-250. i was wondering should i get a new 6.0 or 6.4, and what wouldbe the easiest way to modifiy the engine without having to worry about messing up anything? any input would be appreicated

Reaction score
From what i've heard there's nothin you can do to the exhaust on a 6.4 without messin everything up. IMO i wouldn't be comfortable with a 6.4 this being the first year and all. There is already loads of products on the market for the 6.0. In a year they will have loads of stuff for the 6.4. Maybe the other guys could be more help than me.

And welcome to sdd come back often.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
WeLCOME!!!:sweet

I wouldn't touch a 6.4. The ease of maintenance for the 6.4 is reportably just plain awful. There have been several reports where the entire cab & fenders of the truck must be removed from the frame to facilitate most repairs on the 6.4. Another source of objection has been the particulate filter in the exhaust system. Supposedly the engine goes into a reduced power mode from time to time where it gives the particulate filter an "enema".

The combination of the issues that affect drivability and maintainability, IMHO makes the 6.4 too poor of a value to waste money on.

It started out rather shaky, but in time, the 6.0 matured into a pretty decent motor. In a 6.0 vs. 6.4 decision, I gotta say it's a no-brainer: 6.0.

I'd buy a Nissan Titan 1/2 ton gasser before I would buy a truck with a 6.4 in it.

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id go with a 6.4. when its in regen mode, you wont even notice it. and the cab off repairs arent enough to scare me from gettin one. the 6.4 has got lots more power, and if you chip a 6.0 your asking fro problems. and 6.0 already has plenty of power (in my opinion) and the 6.4 is much more powerful. so either way. you'll be good. definately a ford over a nissan...what a dumb statement! this is a ford fan site! not nissan!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
IMHO makes the 6.4 too poor of a value to waste money on.
IMHO= In My Humble Opinion

definately a ford over a nissan...what a dumb statement! this is a ford fan site! not nissan!

After serving my country for 20 years in the military, defending and protecting the right to free speech among other rights, I would expect to be able to exercise that right and express those opinions without having to take feeble, narrow minded critisim for doing so.

This forum is about the expression of ideas & opinions, and not being blasted for doing so.

At this time, I'll take the high road and refrain from saying what many others would say at this point.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
i'd go with a 6.0 simply because it has proven itself. i dont care how great ford says the 6.4 will be...theres gonna be some bugs to get worked out of it, and id rather it not be me. 6.0's are way easier to modify too...you can straight pipe them still...

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I would go with a 6.0L and give the 6.4 a couple years so that they can work out all the bugs. From what I've heard about the new 6.4's I wouldn't trade my old 7.3 for one.

FordGuy100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havent really heard anything bad about the new 6.4's. Sure there was the dreaded flamethrowers, but that was all fixed. And I hear that taking the cab off to get to the engine only takes about an hour or two, and makes it alot simpler to work on the engine and tranny. All vehicles have some flaws in them, and you can get a good vehicle with no problems, or you can get one with problems. But the newer the vehicle the more chance there is of getting one with problems. And if fuel economy is a concern, the new 6.4's are getting 1-2 mpg less than the 6.0. Its your money, go drive both of them. If you want to mod your truck though, the 6.0 is probably better. I've driven a 6.4, and I have to say that that thing was a beast with tons of power, even though it only has 400 miles on it.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
JRJ04 said something about what Ford said the 6.4 WILL BE..... That's the key word! At this point, I'd go withthe 6.0 just because it is a known engine, tons of mods, and it's been around long enough to prove itself. Good luck on what ever choice you make.=)

firefighter616

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
IMHO= In My Humble Opinion

After serving my country for 20 years in the military, defending and protecting the right to free speech among other rights, I would expect to be able to exercise that right and express those opinions without having to take feeble, narrow minded critisim for doing so.

This forum is about the expression of ideas & opinions, and not being blasted for doing so.

At this time, I'll take the high road and refrain from saying what many others would say at this point.

Amen!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58