need tech help!!

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
2002 ford f-250 w/7.3 powerstroke. just started giving me trouble starting cold. i have a edge evolution programmer set on tow level 1. dtc codes on the edge box are p0381 and p1211. the last time i tried to start it, it belched white smoke really bad. i cycled the glow plugs 5-6 times before i finally got it to start. i had to crank on the starter a long time. please help!

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks. i'll try that when i get home from work. are there any specific test procedures for this?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
with out using the search button, wait till the morrning and then jump the two big terminals on the gpr for 10 sec then go start your truck. if it fires right up then you know its that if not its your batterys. both of them only.

we should still get a sticky made for this question guys.

tbtrammell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have always just used a test light. one side is hot and the other is switching the glow plug circuit on( i'm refering to the two larger studs), when you turn your key on the stud that's not hot should be now. if it isn't hot then more than likely its not working. the next thing would be check the coil wires on the relay (the two smaller studs) use both ends of the test light, one on each stud when you turn the key on, it should be hot now. if it isn't hot now then something else is wrong. i have never had to go any further, its always been the relay. i should have explained at the start, there are two relays on most, one is taller than the other, the tallest is the manifold heater, the shorter one is for glow plugs.

john mathis

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks a lot for the help. i found both relays. the tall one goes to the air intake and the short one to the glow plugs. the short one is NOT working and i'm replacing it this evening. thanks a bunch for the help. i'm not too familiar with diesels yet. i race bb ford 460's in the mud, and have built all my engines so far, but this diesel is a new realm for me. thanks again!!:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58