Need trans help!!

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a 96 E350 that was driven with the TC not seated all the way in the tranny now I can't get it off and it won't turn at all. What do I need to do to get this thing off?

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is broken and your going to have to pry the TC off with two pry bars. The TC is trashed and so is the pump. DONT brake off the ears on the trans. Good luck.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured the pump and TC were hammered. I just had no clue how to get the TC off. I've got a huge slide-hammer that I was thinking of welding some brackets I could bolt on to the tc and yank it off. Do you think that may work any easier?

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another question-

I've got the original tranny and TC. I pulled it because the guy before me ran it out of fluid through the front seal. I'm wondering if I could use that pump and tc and get it working. Or are they just as hammered?

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In truth, I would have the original tranny rebuilt and get a new TC and have the pump looked at. Why do a R and R twice if you dont have to. This is just me I dont have time or money to do things twice. Just my 2 cents.

Your other unit may have other damage thats not seen becuase of the pump getting busted.

Last edited:

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
You have another option if you are good with a wrench. Do it your self. Trannys are not that scary to dig into. Keep it clean watch the specs you will be fine. ;tu Most likely the junk from the pump has gone through the tranny so it should be pulled apart. As for the other pump and converter it needs to be checked. The pump could have been damaged when it was ran dry.

Check this guy out if you want to be your own tranny guy.:D

Racer X Automotive

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a very similar situation with an explorer the input shaft will likely be wedged into the torque converter in a manner that will also require it to be replaced.

At this point you are going to have to use force to yank the torque converter out of the transmission depending on what is wedged where will determine what needs to be replaced.

It could be the front pump, however I can say that the explorer (A4LD) would not shift into OD or even try to after I messed it up but I did manage to sell it to a used car dealer.

I will second calling RacerX for parts.

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I've checked racerx and that's probably the route I will go if I can get some money together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58