Need Transmission Help

99SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok the other week i pulled a trailer and when i was backing it up i gave it some gas and some transmission fluid shot out on the road. i think it is when the tranny builds up pressure. i think it is the front seal or the pump gasket. let me know what you guys think.

kbaxter

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had an automatic in a Ranger do that too me. It ended up being the front seal. Once that's out, there is nothing to keep the fluid where it's supposed to be. You'd see fluid coming out from the bell housing / torque converter area.

I got another and put it back in a staked it real good and it was fine ever since.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 1991 F-250 with a 460 would do that when backing the rv up the hill to the back yard when it was hot. So I started letting it sat and cool down before I would park the trailer and everything was fine then. You may want to try this.

hwytom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
had 1 in the shop that didn't vent was plugged,but that poured out on level surface as well.

99SD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the vent plug at??? i was backing up a little hill when the fluid came out. i dont think it has leaked sense.

turbopinto

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have you tried replacing the O-ring seals around the dipstick tube? After a while, they get hard and brittle, and don't seal anymore, and typically leak when pointed nose down-hill. It's a cheap (usually 50-95 cents at parts store for o-ring) and easy fix, if that's what the problem is.

hwytom

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
if you have 1 it will be on top of the trans a little metal tube.
also check seal at dipstick tube like above said, but instead of messing around to much,maybe raise the back of the vehichle and watch to see if it leaks make sure tranny is full,also may want to look for drips inside bell houseing to see if the front pump seal leaking

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg